1997 Johnson 90 not charging battery

dogclinic

Cadet
I have to pull my battery out once a month or so and hook it up to a charger. The engine doesn't seem to be doing its job. The tac works, and everything runs once the engine is started -- I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem. Any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Johnson 90 not charging battery

First, do a test to make sure that the battery is indeed charging..... hook a volt meter across the battery terminals and make a note of the readings. Then, while running the engine, check the reading again and make a note once more of the reading. If the battery is indeed being charged by the engine's charging system, the reading would have increased...... Did it increase?

If no voltage increase was noted, I'd suspect that a flaw exists in the voltage regulator/rectifier assembly.

If a increase in voltage existed, you have either a defective battery or a voltage drain. To check for a voltage drain..........

Remove "all" of the wires/cables from the positive post of the battery. Hook up a volt meter (set so that it would register even the slightest amount of vvoltage) between the positive battery post and the wires/cables you just disconnected. If a voltage drain exists, it will register on the meter. If this is the case, it is now simply a matter of removing one item from the circuit at a time to find the offending component.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Johnson 90 not charging battery

First thing to do is take your battery to a local parts house and have it load tested. If that's okay, follow Joe's procedure.

Last edited: