1979 25 HP Evinrude Water Pump Replacement

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1979 Evinrude 25 HP outboard, (E25RCSA) and I'm having trouble removing the lower end to replace the water pump.
I have removed the 4 bolts (2 each side) & loosened the back nut. I have also removed the linkage bolt inside the engine.

The problem is the unit won't drop, it seems that the back bolt is stuck in the housing and won't release, I've sprayed it with WD and let it sit but it still won't come off.

Am I missing a bolt somewhere that's not visible?

Once I do get it replaced will I only see water from the Pee Hole or will I also see water from the 2 holes just below the cowling?

Thanks for any help.

Jerry

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 25 HP Evinrude Water Pump Replacement

You've got a 1980 model. Loosen that nut on that back stud and try a hammer on it. The stud could be corroded in the housing. You may also want to get a mapp gas torch and heat the housing area where the stud goes through. Throw the WD away and get some PB Blaster.

Last edited:

jasper60103

Commander

You're not missing any bolts. My guess is you have a salt water motor.
I agree with boobie. That rear stud is causing you grief.

Once you replace the WP. It should pee and spray a mist from the exhaust releaf
ports on the back of the leg.

Here's mine for reference.

James R

Commander

You may need considerable heat. Without it you can break the housing. Best bet is to take it to someone who is familiar with this problem. When you reassemble it always use OMC thread sealer on the threads and shanks of the bolts. I get this problem brought to me frequently.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice, heating the bolt area did the trick. And thanks for the video, a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Jerry