1989 Johnson 60 motor problems warning beep

1989johnson70

Recruit
Hello,
New to the forum. I had a few questions about my 1989 Johnson 60 motor. It ran great when I bought it. Probably put 3 or 4 tanks through it and it started to lose power and then eventually started doing a solid beep warning. If I read correctly in the manual that's indicating fuel problems or overheating. It's not overheating and I replaced the fuel filter checked everything I'm just not sure where to go from here. Anyone familiar with this problem or have any advice?
THANKS!

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1989 Johnson 60 motor problems warning beep

If when you cut the switch to on without starting engine; do you get a beep? Post your model # so the gurus will have something to work with and will be able to help you.

1989johnson70

Recruit

It's the VRO not sure if there's other models but the model # is J60ELCCR
Thanks again

boobie

Supreme Mariner

According to your model # it's a 1988. There is no fuel restriction warning on that motor. How did you check to be sure it's not over heating ?? If it's not, it could be a defective horn.

rick001

Seaman Apprentice

On my 1990 Johnson 60hp. The solid beep warning was the VRO oil tank low or empty. When the tank was low, if I did a sharp turn it would come on. And after shutting motor off, it would take about 20 mins. before I could restart without it coming on.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.