johnson 15 hp 1996 powerhead on 1980 ?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have a clean 1980 15 hp short shaft, the lower bearing is shot (pretty sure it squeals at low idle.) motor is really clean and i think the bearing failed from non use. lower is great overall its clean.
now i bought a johnson 1996, 10 hp that the mounts are shot, as well as other items. can i put the ph on the 1980, and swap the ignition and flywheel? never thought of frankenstein'g a motor, but, just thought id ask. it would make life easy, and i would have a new style ph, with the greatness of the 80's carb and over built durability. (the newer has too much plastic, and i hate the plastic carb)
thoughts? am i crazy for thinking of doing this? the drive shaft is the same, and i have a tuned exhaust housing as well.
dino

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: johnson 15 hp 1996 powerhead on 1980 ?

Probable won't work. The 80 has the old gear shaft throttle system, and the older powerhead.

The 96 is the "big block" powehead (displacement was increased in 93), and uses the cable type throttle. Plus the other controls, may not line up where they need to be. The biggest thing, since the powerheads are different, the bolt pattern for bolting it to the midsection may be different too.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: johnson 15 hp 1996 powerhead on 1980 ?

Probable won't work. The 80 has the old gear shaft throttle system, and the older powerhead.

The 96 is the "big block" powehead (displacement was increased in 93), and uses the cable type throttle. Plus the other controls, may not line up where they need to be. The biggest thing, since the powerheads are different, the bolt pattern for bolting it to the midsection may be different too.

that makes sense, the ph not fitting on the midsection. oh well another two parts donor...
dino