Tilt trim pin on a johnson 2003 40 hp.Having trouble removing it. Any suggestions .

mickj1234

Cadet
Im having trouble removing the top pin on the tilt trim on my 2003 40 hp johnson. Any suggestions.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Tilt trim pin on a johnson 2003 40 hp.Having trouble removing it. Any suggestions

Try mixing a 50/50 mixture of acetone and auto transmission fluid and spray on it wait a day or so and then get a brass drift rod and if you have the room I use a 2lb hammer an basically give it some really good whacks; stay in the center of the pin and don't flatten it out. Good luck. If that doesn't work you'll have to resort to heat and the drift rod.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt trim pin on a johnson 2003 40 hp.Having trouble removing it. Any suggestions

OMC makes an adapter for a slide hammer to install in the stbd side of the pin to pull it out. Got all the keepers out ?? Don't try to drive it out to port.

Last edited:

mickj1234

Cadet

Try mixing a 50/50 mixture of acetone and auto transmission fluid and spray on it wait a day or so and then get a brass drift rod and if you have the room I use a 2lb hammer an basically give it some really good whacks; stay in the center of the pin and don't flatten it out. Good luck. If that doesn't work you'll have to resort to heat and the drift rod.

Thanks for your help,i'll try that.

mickj1234

Cadet

OMC makes an adapter for a slide hammer to install in the stbd side of the pin to pull it out. Got all the keepers out ??

The only thing i could see was a circlip,split pin type through the port side of the pin. It has a thread in the starboard side end of the pin. Maybe a special tool is needed.

mickj1234

Cadet

The only thing i could see was a circlip,split pin type through the port side of the pin. It has a thread in the starboard side end of the pin. Maybe a special tool is needed.

i just realised how dumb that reply looked. I'll check it out. Thanks for your help.

richiem

Recruit

i just realised how dumb that reply looked. I'll check it out. Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem and tryed all of the above suggestions, soaking for days, heat, slide hammer, every thing without luck, the pin would only move about 3/4 of an inch. Finally resorted to a cut off wheel to get the unit out than drilled most of the remaing to releave the pressure and than was able to push it out. Now I have to do the same on the pump unit and hope not to damage it. This motor has only been used in salt water and the pins never been removed before, from now on every year the pins will be removed and greased.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

An acy/oxy torch is usually a good friend when removing those pins on this motor. Along with a brass drift and a BFH.

phillnjack2

Ensign

2nd the above about big hammer

mickj1234

Cadet

Thanks for your help,i ended up cutting it with a disc also. All fixed now.Cheers.

mickj1234

Cadet

Thanks,got it out the same way. Cut it into 4 pieces. All fixed now.