1972 Evinrude 50hp Lark question

Bee Reel

Cadet
I picked up a 72 50hp lark today model number 50273c for $50. Brought it home and decided to test it to see if the starter worked and if it would turn. Jumped the starter and she spun not problem. Next I tested to see if the compression is good. Both cylinders were about 175lbs. Then I checked the spark with my gap tester set to 7/16". Nice blue snappy spark jumped no problem. Decided what the hell give it some gas and see if it will fire up ( I put muffs on it) and surprisingly it started right up the first try. I was surprised that it started to be honest since I know it had been sitting for some time indoors at a local scrap yard. My question is how to test the electric shift. It seems to be in forward. Not sure if that's normal when the control box is not connected? Read that they are in forward gear when they are not running. Also does anyone know if I can use the wire harness from my 110hp Johnson on it? Same plug but the Evinrude has two more prongs in it. Guessing those might be for the shift solenoid? Can I wire the electric shift separately? If not where can I find a harness?
Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Evinrude 50hp Lark question

(Hydro Electric Shift System Explained)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE 1 -The ohm reading of the individual shift solenoids should be between 5 to 6 ohms. The ohm meter should be set to low ohms. The shift wires leading to the solenoids must be disconnected when being tested.

NOTE 2 - The solenoid plunger measurement must be made with the solenoid placed within the lower unit. The measurement must be approximately 1/64" beneath the top surface of the solenoid... NOT above the solenoid surface nor any lower than 1/64" of the solenoid surface. This factory measurement is critical and will not ever change UNLESS someone has tinkered with it.

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

Note: The engine must be running OR have the driveshaft turning by some other means in order for the engine to shift.

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

Bee Reel

Cadet

Thanks for the info Joe! Are these motors any good generally speaking? Hows the compression? 175 and 180 lbs.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are you saying you didn't get the harness or the control box with the mtr ??

submariner1980

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you sure compression numbers are accurate? On the new motor compression is about 125 psi.

Bee Reel

Cadet

The wire harness is attached to the motor, I just don't have the set of wires that goes from the harness on the motor to the control box. No control box either. I have a buddy that may have a control box for an Evinrude. Im not sure how to tell if its the correct one either. Im guessing that the control box doesn't have a cable shift function? Prob a switch for the shift function? My boat is set up a bit different from my last motor in that the ignition switch and the trim and tilt are located on the console not the control box. I was surprised at the compression reading myself. My compression tester is brand new also so Im hoping its accurate. What would it mean if the compression is too high? What would cause it to be so high and could it pose a problem?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The control has a push button switch to shift gears. There were a few different versions according to specific motor. Thing to look for is yours requires the control with a yellow plug on the aft end of the cable.