Only forward or only reverse. Possible remote control problem?

StevenG10

Cadet
My outboard wouldn't go into reverse but would just click when I took it to the lake. So I unhooked the linkage at home and manually put it into forward and reverse with no problem. So I tried to adjust the linkage to hit both forward and reverse. Next time I take it out it will only go in reverse but clicks when tried to put in forward. So I adjusted the linkage to go into forward and used it the rest of the day. I feel as if this is a problem with the control box not allowing the cable to travel enough. Does this sound correct? If so what can be done? New control box or a part replacement? Is it difficult to do? Thanks in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Only forward or only reverse. Possible remote control problem?

If you can post the model# and a pic of the control box.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

It could also just be a stretched out cable. In adition to the above request for info on the control box how old is the shift cable itself?

I'd be suspicious of the shift cable as well. Disconnect the cable from the shift linkage at the engine (leave it connected at the control box) and see how much play there is in the cable end. Just as a comparison, on the new Teleflex cable I installed when I rebuilt my Checkmate there was only about 1/8" of play.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good info Metric.............