1956 30 hp johnson javelin

Math.?.

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I have this johnson javelin that my grandfather bought new in 1956. Lastly, i decided to take it out of the barn to bring it back to life. But unfortunately, it is now stuck. Here is the question, what is the best way to unseize a motor?
Thank you very much
Mathieu

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 30 hp johnson javelin

This looks familiar from the AOMCI site!

I would first remove the gearcase, to rule out it being stuck.

Then pull off the recoil assembly if it still wont budge, and try spinning the flywheel by hand. If it will still not rotate, remove the plugs, and pour a mix of 50:50 acetone:ATF into the plug holes, let it sit, then every day try to slowly budge the flywheel. If it is just stuck from sitting, it should start moving without too much trouble. If it is stuck from water intrusion, and the bearings are all rusted, you will have to open her up.

Math.?.

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, but i really want to save this motor... That is why i want to get the most suggestion as possible...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

High Trim said it all..........That was just for starters.

Last edited:

Math.?.

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much guys i'll try it this week end.
And i'll post pictures of the beast!

Math.?.

Seaman Apprentice

So i finally pour the mix into the plugs.
The only problem i have is that the mix is always coming out of the upper cylinder because the top of the piston is right beside the exhaust hole. So i cant get the mix to stay in it. Do you know what i can do?
Here is some pictures.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Some mice had made their nest in the engine.that's why it's rusty image.jpg

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Mouse pee makes a mess doesn't it!

I would start by just angling it away from the exhaust and then pouring small amount of mixture in at a time. If it is really stuck, you may need to take more aggressive steps and pull the powerhead. Just really depends on what is stuck. Pour in, and rock back and forth every day or so.

On a side note, cool Hus Ski! Looks mint.

Math.?.

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it is really bad for metal...
I will try to go slowly like you told me.
And thanks, i restored it last year.

Math.?.

Seaman Apprentice

Still checking it every day... Doesn't look like it wants to move... anybody knows where i can find controls for an antique motor like this or for a 1953 johnson 10 hp qd-13?
thanks!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

QD13 is a 52, just FYI

Controls are still easily had. Post a wanted ad in your local classifieds to start, kijiji. Other places like mapleleafchapter.org or aomci.org in the webvertize

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Off the subject. How's that Hus Ski run ?? What motor is in it ?? I know I'll get lashed for this but when I had a motor stuck I would pull the head off and take a wooden block and rap the top of the pistons with a hammer. It usually worked.

Last edited:

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

The decals on the 10-horse cowling look like a 1953, but starting in 1953 they added a steering bracket up front and a cable-stop mounting boss on the starboard side lower cowling to facilitate the addition of remote controls. I see the 1953 lower cowling with the boss on it but I don't see the steering bracket. Perhaps it is a 1952 motor with a 1953 lower cowl. At any rate, the earlier motors (pre-53) used a much different style of remote steering, the sort where the steering cables were suspended out beyond the stern of the boat and attached to eyelets on the back of the motor. If it were me I'd be inclined to find a steering bracket from a 1953 or newer 10.

Also best of luck with that Javelin! Having that one cylinder at TDC complicates the idea of dumping the 50/50 mix into the cylinder for soaking. As Boobie suggested, you may have to remove the head & take a block to the piston. What you don't want to do is knock a hole in the piston, so the wooden block is very important.

Last edited:

Math.?.

Seaman Apprentice

Boobie: the hus-ski uses a 247cc JLO 10,4 hp. It works like any other snow mobile with variable clutches. But your are on a slay at the back of the "tractor" which it pulling you. Realy fun to ride !!!

Tn-25: so finally, what do you think? It is a 1952 motor with a 1953 control and steering bracket?
But if i use a block, i wont break the piston rings?

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

You know what? There were 2 different styles of decal used in 1952 and your motor has the more obscure style with an arrow on it. The mounting boss on the side appears to be an add-on, much like what OMC sold for my 7?. On the front of your motor is a steering bracket, the likes of which I have never seen before. I wonder if it is an OMC retrofit kit from waaay back in the day?

At any rate, 1953 was the debut of the Johnson Ship Master & Evinrude Simplex controls. Initially they were used on the Johnson 10, Evinrude 15, plus the Johnson & Evinrude 25s in 1953, and those motors had built-in accomodation starting that year. Starting in 1954 they added the capability to the new Johnson 5? & revised Evinrude 7?, but those 2 needed a screw-on cable-stop boss added as an OMC accessory.

The OMC shift & throttle controls (Ship Master & Simplex) were made for many years although the styling changed around 1959/60. Other manufacturers also made controls to fit, like Morse & Brydon Boy, but you have to know what you are looking for in those because they made controls for numerous brands of motors.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If the Javelin were mine, I'd pull it down. Too many possible issues with the innards if you free it up without tearing it down. Pull it apart, press the pistons out with an arbor or hydraulic press, clean up the rings & grooves, lightly hone the bores (if usable), check all bearings for water marks/rust, and go from there. Parts aren't hard to find for the 30s, even though they were a one-year motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is a 1952 all around. It has some modifications done to it however.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Math, I used to work on those Hus-skis and rode plenty of them. They would go anywhere where no other snowmobile could.