Not to beat a weak horse, but year made for a Johnson 9.5 hp similar to a rude sportw

georgeJeff

Cadet
I have a Johnson 9.5 hp that looks just like the evinrude sportwin 9.5. I need to swap the clamshell from the evinrude to the Johnson (Johnson has a busted clam, and the evinrude is SALTY with lots of broken bolts). Just collecting information here. What is the Johnson called, a sportwin? The number on the freeze plug is J26D3645. That is the only number I have. Can anyone point me to chart for more information?

Once again, thanks to all.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Not to beat a weak horse, but year made for a Johnson 9.5 hp similar to a rude sp

They didn't name the johnsons like the did with evinrudes. They made the 9.5hp from about '67 to '73, I believe. Unless the latch mechanism is different, and I don't think they were, I'm thinking any of those years should fit.
JBJ

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Not to beat a weak horse, but year made for a Johnson 9.5 hp similar to a rude sp

the 9.5 was in production 64-73.
looking at the bottom cover blow ups 64-73 they seem to be identical.

kbait

Commander

Johnsons were just called sea-horse (like most johnsons of the era). Evinrude 9.5 and earlier 10hp were 'sportwin'. Earlier run 9.5's (Johnson and Evinrude) had the latch handle on the cowl itself.. later ones had the latch handle on the rear-lower cowl. Not interchangeable as jbj states^.

Good luck!

georgeJeff

Cadet

I have had a good look at both the johnson and the evinrude (the rude is still on the boat in the clam). I have made a few measurements, the motor mounts seem to line up. Your right about the cowl, the latch swivel is on the removable cowl on the evinrude, on the lower (non-removeable) cowl on the johnson. I don't think that will be an issue as I plan on using the evinrude clamshell in its entirety for the finished product, so I will just use the evinrude cowling. I will post a few pics just for kicks and giggles as the project advances, I doubt that there are too many people doing this. But, with the HIGHLY inflated price of small outboards these days, financial desperation is highly motivating to improvising state of mind.

Thanks to all.