"1982 90hp Evinrude - 2 Stroke" Sitting 3 years

rlasiak

Cadet
I have received as a gift from my Father-In-Law a 1982 90hp Evinrude w/ tilt and trim and a 20" shaft. The motor has sat covered for 2 1/2 years but he claims that it ran perfectly prior to that. The motor seems to be in good condition. I've pulled the plugs and have manually turned the flywheel. I can see all four pistons moving up and down the shafts. My next plan is to spin it with the starter so I can check compression. Could anybody please give me some advice on what steps I should take to get this motor back running without ruining it in the process. Thank you!

Last edited:

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: "1982 90hp Evinrude - 2 Stroke" Sitting 3 years

Go to the "sticky" file at the top of the page and go to the link called " it's been sitting for two years" that has what you are looking for I believe. Good luck

Bosunsmate

Admiral

those a good motors. you should do the thermostats on it too if you have the cash

rlasiak

Cadet

Checked out the sticky files. Will do and I will try for the thermostat too. Thanks guys.

those a good motors....

I'll second that. I had an '81 model, never let me down. It's just a little cold blooded on the first start of the day in low temperatures, but then again so am I before I get enough coffee in me.

One thing I found is that there's an alternate spark plug recommendation (I can't remember the plug number - had it written down on the service manual but I gave that to the guy that bought the boat that the engine was attached to). I'm sure if you look a little bit you can find that spark plug number, for me anyway the alternate plug lasted way way longer than the originally spec'd one without fouling.