1964 evinrude sportwin clamshell on a johnson motor?

georgeJeff

Cadet
Just bought a 56 alumacraft with a 1964 evinrude 9.5 sportwin ($300). I wanted to replace the impeller, all four bolts on the lower were already broken, how lucky was I that I didn't have to go to the trouble to break them. Ran the engine before purchase, seemed to run great in the tube of water. Replaced the impeller, sparkplugs, oil in the LU, all fuel lines, you get the idea. Headed to lake, engine ran terrible, strong miss, worse at high rpm.

Got it home started the diagnosis in my head, decided it had to be the "head gasket". 60 top and 63 bottom psi when cold, 33 top and around 70 bottom psi when hot. I know 2-strokes don't have heads, but that gasket under the plate over the pistons. 7 of the 8 bolts in that plate broke off. Got the plate off and sure enough lots of milk and water on the top piston. Have now decided that the engine had to be in salt water, and I am tired of fooling around with it and its broken bolts. My neighbor got me a "parts engine". It is a johnson 9.5 that looks exactly the same as the evinrude except its white. The numbers on the plate, from memory are J23D3645. I have unshucked the johnson motor and it looks clean.

The Question: The Johnson looks like it will fit in the evinrude clam, can anyone confirm this. Oh, by the way, the Johnson was free because the owner backed it into a curb and broke the swing arm, the johnson clamshell is trash.

Thanks to all.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1964 evinrude sportwin clamshell on a johnson motor?

The motors should be part-for-part the same, if the same year or pretty close. They made some mild improvements between 1964 and 1973 model run, but by and large they're compatible through the run...

kbait

Commander

On the cowl, the only thing they changed was the latch. Early models have the latch handle on the cowl itself, later models have the latch on the lower pan. If the donor motor has the same latch location, it'll fit. If not, it'll fit w/a bungee cord :)

georgeJeff

Cadet

My Evinrude is an early 64 with the latch on the cowl, the donor Johnson has the latch on the lower cowl. Should not be an issue as I am going to install the Johnson motor in the rude clamshell so I will just continue to use the evinrude cowl as well. You guys could probably do this little job in an hour, it will take me a week. But, it will get done.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The motor mounts are different. Whether they will interchange or not, I'm not sure. Also, the vibration dampers were different. The newer version were MUCH better and can be installed on the older one but you will have to swap the exhaust cover plate in order to get the screw holes to hold the newer damper.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

The 1964 & 65 models used the knob on the rear of the hood; 1966 and later used the latch on the pan. Johnson & Evinrude hoods can be used interchangably on those motors, as long as you use a 64/65 style on a 64/65, or a later style hood on the later motors.

georgeJeff

Cadet

Got everything switched over. The only difference was two little springs that attached to little cogs under the timing plate of the evinrude.
The Johnson didn't have those little cogs, but I removed the "cog fixture" on the evinrude and it bolted right up to the johnson. I have no idea what the springs purpose in life is, they are not attached to anything moveable.

Set the points, rechecked all that all the nuts and bolts were tight, fuel lines nice and tight, started on the 3rd pull (but forgot to pump the fuel line on the first pull). Now the problem, IGNORANCE!!! Tightened the recoil spring on the starter tooooo much. When I then pulled the rope, the spring was over tightened and I broke the spring. Ok, got the spring worked out, bent a section of it to fit into the retaining hole, but the bolt that drops down through the center of the spring broke off at the tip ( I think it had been broken for a while, but I will accept the blame) so that is doesn't fit anymore, the bolt is now too short to span the proper lenth. The price for this one bolt online is $50 to $60 dollars, yeah, that will be the day.

If you too have a broken tip on the retaining bolt, did you know that a 1/4" 3/16ths craftsman socket will fit nicely in the hole the bolt is supposed to fit in? Then your now shortened bolt will drop into the square portion of the socket (a little drilling to widen the square hole), the tapered portion of the socket will fit into provided hole. Put the socket on a grinder to decrease its outside diameter so that the outside portion of the spring will fit around it. Problem solved, a $2 socket, or a $50 bolt?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a good redneck fix. And if it doesn't work out, you can always take the socket back to Sears and they'll replace it with a brand new one. As long as you didn't grind the Craftsman name off.