70 HP Johnson, Shifting Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill4157

Cadet
I have a 1980 70 HP Johnson Motor. The problem started about a week ago. It would not shift into and stay in reverse, so I adjusted the shift linkage and I got reverse back. A day later the same happened with forward so I adjusted the linkage and had forward and reverse both shifting well and staying in gear. 2 days later I broke a piece of the linkage (pic below) I do not know the actual name of the part but it connects the linkage under the carbs. Well I got a used one and put it on and everything seemed fine for a few days. Then it started shifting hard and wouldn't stay in gear. I adjusted forward to max adjustment on the linkage on the motor...... Now it does not shift into forward or reverse, not even by manually pushing the shift rods under the engine. I drained the lower unit oil and there is no metal shaving or chunks in it.

Any suggestions as to what the problem would be?

Thanks in advance20131103_173207.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 HP Johnson, Shifting Problems

Sounds like it's time to pull the lower unit off, tear it apart and see what's wrong.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70 HP Johnson, Shifting Problems

sometimes you have to spin the prop to shift, shifting without the engine running or a second person spinning the prop could result in jamming the shifting mechanism.

timkelly

Recruit
I'm looking for some inside plastic parts for my throttle control box, for my 1980 model, 70 hp Johnson. What's a decent price, if I have to buy a whole used box?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your location ??----Have lots here but no shipping to remote locations !

Status
Not open for further replies.