Johnson 1990, 70 hp Lower unit installation

I had to remove my lower unit on my Johnson 1990 70 hp with the VRO. Everything was alright. Now i am trying to reinstall it but i am not able to attach the shift rod to the shift link. The shift link it's under the Vro pump and unapproachable unless i remove the VRO pump. Do i have to to that or their a more simple way. I ajust the lenght of the shift rod (21 23/32''). I try the opposite of when i remove it (pull the shift lever) but nothing to do. I only have reverse. thank you very much for yours helps.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Johnson 1990, 70 hp Lower unit installation

how did you undo it in the first place?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good question Bosun !

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

I see you have discover the small engineering secret ......all the shift linkage connections are a pain in the butt! I feel your pain....... Try taping the bolt to a socket to get it back in......you will do allot of swearing and some onusual body positions....... I usually walk away a few times when I am doing it.

The answer is re-install it the way it came out

To remove it, you just have to push the shift lever in the direction of the Power head. That release the connection between the shift rod and the shift link. That what i thougt , put it back and pull the shift lever instead of pushing it, install the pin and that it, but for a x-reason, it did not connect and because i can't see anything down there, i can't not even see if i am close. Worse, i was thinking that it was alright, so i go try it. I had neutral and reverse and now, i think that i am stuck in reverse so my measure 21 23/32 does not apply anymore (right ?). Someone recommande to try with with a mirror. I will do that. If not, after all the time that i spend on that, removing the vro will be a walk in the park ( i will not remove it completly, just move it).
Maybe i miss something
thank you

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Moving the vro is a good idea so you can see what is going on.

rick001

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 1990 60hp Johnson and had the same problem, I unbolted the VRO pump and took the starter off and it gave me enough room to get the shift rod in. Removing the starter let the VRO pump swing up and out of the way.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is possible to re-connect the shift linkage without removing the VRO pump or starter, a little tricky though.
If you haven't already done, disconnect the shift cable. Drop a small flashlight in the lower cowling so you can see the shift link. You need to remove the ground nut, disconnect a number of connectors in that area and bend the electrical cables away. Standing behind the engine at the port side, you can grab the shift rod right under the lower cowling with long nose pliers in your left hand in order to rotate the rod into the right position (forward) and hold it there. At the same time push and move the shift lever (where the shift cable was connected to) back and forth with your right hand. Being able to see the link you will find the position where it locks in place.

thank you very much gentleman, i am pretty sure with theses comments, i will have a nice saturday. I let you know.

Again thank you.
MD

Is this ever happen to you, please make me happy and do like Rick001 says, remove the starter, move the vro and click
thank you everybody for your support
MD