1986 johnson vro 70 hp plugs flooding

larsonlover1986

Recruit
When in the yard and the prop is down hooked to a hose my Johnson starts right up but by the time I get to the river it wont start and the plugs are flooded you can see it in the water. with my vro it has 2 plugs is this a 2 stroke and with the vro do I mix gas and oil what ratio. okay im a girl so I need help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 johnson vro 70 hp plugs flooding

(Engine Won't Start or Hard Starting In Water)
(Joe Reeves)

The Evinrude and Johnson engines, starting in 1973, have what is called Magneto Capacitance Discharge ignition, self contained, not dependent on battery voltage. The engine must turn over at least 300 rpms in order for the flywheel magnets rotating past the stator ignition generating coils to supply approximately 300v AC to the powerpack(s), which in turn is needed to supply power to the coils etc etc (spark).

In the water, exhaust back pressure is encountered due to the fact that the exhaust housing (housing between the powerhead and the lower unit) is filled with water. This would drag down the needed rpms, affecting ignition.

Normally the clue to this type problem is that the engine starts fine on a flushette (hose), but is very difficult to start when in the water.

Should this be the case, check the battery, clean and tighten all conections (use a wrench or pliers, not your fingers). Any cable that gets overly warm or hot indicates either a loose, or tight but dirty, or internally corroded cable. And of course check the starter itself.

NOTE: Spark plugs hsould be Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gaped at either .040 (original gap) or .030 (revised gap)

With both s/plugs removed, the spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

Check the compression (both s/plugs stilll removed). What are the psi readings? No gauge?... they're available just about everywhere and fairly cheap.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1986 johnson vro 70 hp plugs flooding

Yes your engine is a 2 stroke. If the VRO is connected and working then there is no need to mix oil with gas There should be a seperate tank for the oil. If the VRO is not connected then yes you do need to mix.