1983 Evinrude 25hp Starter Lockout Question

mfay1971

Cadet
Hi Everyone. I am a longtime reader of answers, but first time asker of a question on the forum. :joyous:

Last year I purchased a 15' G3 skiff with a 1983 Evinrude 25hp motor. The motor model is: E25RCTE

I went through the motor (carb rebuilt, tuneup, etc), and it runs perfect. Here is my question:

The motor is electric start, but always had a non-functioning rewind pull rope start. The housing was always there, but I never opted to repair it. Fast forward to this week; I finally decided to get the pull start assembly working. I ordered a great used pull start housing assembly, with all of the working components. Here is the problem: On the pull start housing that I ordered, the unit came delivered with what I have identified as the "starter lockout" mechanism, which includes and electrical switch on one end and a plunger piece on the housing end. My old unit did not have this. I believe the previous owner opted to remove it at some point.

Additionally, on my current motor, the old switch is still there, but looks to have had all wiring to it removed. Basically, it looks like the previous owner removed all functionality on the starter lockout mechanism for the pull start.

My question: Is this something that I really need to install? Obviously, I would like to connect it, since it came with the new pull start housing assembly, but I don't know how or where the wiring come from for the switch. See pics below.

Any advice anyone can share, or wiring instructions, would be very helpful. Thank you in advance! :D

~Mike

photo(1).jpgphoto.jpg

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Evinrude 25hp Starter Lockout Question

The safety switch prevents starting in gear. Of course you can remove or disconnect it, but then obviously you won't have the protection. The ultimate bad part of not having the protection is accidently getting tossed overboard and drowning. Or accidently running over somebody else. But you knew that, right?

Typically, a white wire coming from the key switch connects to one of two terminals on the starter solenoid, and the other terminal connects to the safety switch. If in "defeat" mode, the wire is removed from the safety switch and grounded.

mfay1971

Cadet
Re: 1983 Evinrude 25hp Starter Lockout Question

Thanks a bunch. That helps. I would like to have this function active and working. I appreciate the help! :)