1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp High speed/Low speed settings question

brettym

Recruit
I have a 1960 18hp, been in storage for the last ten years, using it for a duck boat. I replaced a impellar, new lower unit fluid, filters, fluids etc. Motor was very well taken care of, actually started on the 2nd pull.

The question I have is...the low speed and high speed dials. I'm trying to figure out how to set them and just needing more details in general on how to use them. I took it out last week and it ran ok, seemed to bog down at full speed, I then turned the high speed up to 4-5 and she ran good. I then went to idle and turned it down, I'm doing this because i have no clue on how to operate it and i'm just testing it trying to figure it out. I then went back to full speed and turned the high speed back up and it never seemed to run at full speed again. Attched is a picture of the cowling i found online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. evinrude 18hp high speed low speed.jpg

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp High speed/Low speed settings question

Usually, the basic settings are (start at lightly seated clockwise) Low speed turn counterclockwise 1 1/2 turns, the High speed turn counterclockwise 1 turn. Not all motors are the same so you'll need to play with them a tad to get the smoothest running position. After you do this, neither should have to be moved again. Of course, taking the carb apart and cleaning it would probably help you but try these settings first.

brettym

Recruit

Thank you for the response. Planning on a carb clean soon.

So your saying the slow speed should be set around 2.5 and the high speed around 2? Thats assuming its lightly seated at 1 on the dial.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pay no attention to the numbers on the dial for initial setting and tuning. They mean nothing.

Remove the dials all together, and turn both needles clockwise gently until they seat.

Now back the low speed (top) out counter clockwise 1.5 turns.

Then back the high speed (lower) out counter clockwise 3/4 of a turn.

Go for a high speed run.

May run rough at first.

While at WOT, slowly turn the high speed needle (lower), in, clockwise, leaning it out, in small increments giving the motor time to respond, until it want to die or mildly backfires. Then back it out 1/4 turn or so.

Now bring it down to a low idle in gear, and slowly turn the low speed needle (upper), in, clockwise, leaning it out, in small increments giving the motor time to respond, until it want to die or mildly backfires. Then back it out 1/4 turn or so.

Now put the dials back on, with the pointer in the center for reference. This is to tell you if they have moved. The numbers themselves are pointless.