1983 Evinrude 35 sputtering on low rpms

Duckman224

Recruit
Was hoping for some insight on a problem that is driving me crazy!! My 83 evinrude 35 ran beautifully for 2 years it then started to cough and sputter after putting it into foward and accelerating. There seems to be a certain rpm range that the motor will run really bad even coughing and stalling itself out, however if I drop below that rpm range or go above it the motor runs fine. I have rebuilt the carb and adjusted everything according to the service manual checked the fuel lines and pump and everything appears good. It also seems to be worse in the colder weather . To me it seems like a carb issue but I just can't figure it out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1983 Evinrude 35 sputtering on low rpms

With out seeing it and you've said that you have been through the carb and are sure it is clean and that it idles well and at full throttle I would be looking in the linkages between the Carb and the ingition advance. As I recall there are a lot of small plastic bushings and parts in there that could be worn out and causing it to not advance properly as you accelerate.

That's my best guess.

Schranz

Cadet
Re: 1983 Evinrude 35 sputtering on low rpms

I have the same motor....have you messed with the idle needle...is it electric choke. Could have a vacuum leak