1989 Evinrude 155hp HELP!

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I just got a Evinrude 155hp V6.. The motor is turning over very slowly, so I had the starter rebuilt..I put the the newly rebuild starter on and now the motor is still turning over slowly but this time, my battery cables and are getting hot. I need some help figuring this out.. Could it be the cable coming the battery to the starter solenoid or the solenoid itself. What would make the battery cable it really warm... Also when I turn the key switch off, the motor kept running the off position, I had the disconnect the battery the stop the motor from turning over..The batteries are fully charged.

Thanks,
mav

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 155hp HELP!

You either have bad battery cable connections on the battery or the motor or the cables are full of corrosion causing the heat problem. Have you had your battery load tested ??

Last edited:

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I tried 3 different batteries all test good..I replaced the battery cables with jumper cables and got the same results...I don't know if jumper cables are good to use..But I will replace the cables tomorrow..is there anyway possible that the starter solenoid is bad.. does it make a difference which end the solenoid the positive battery cable go

Thank, Mav.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I've seen the contacts inside a fairly old solenoid (V4 crossflow) weld themselves together-such that the starter kept turning by itself after the key was turned to "run." Had to disconnect the main battery cables. Replaced the solenoid and everything was back to normal.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Mav, you've got two posts going here on the same subject. Read the rules at the top of the forum and stick to one post!!! It's less confusing. Thank you.