1986 johnson 110hp still won't start

Bee Reel

Cadet
Tested the stator today and the resistance was 386. Cdi says the stator should test in at 460 to 600. Would this prevent the motor from running? The model number is j110tlcdc. Rebuilt both carbs replaced plugs and wires. Has spark that will jump 7/19". Compression was 110,110,110 and 95. Now all around 85 to 90 after trying to get it started.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 johnson 110hp still won't start

If the spark will jump a 7/16" air gap there's nothing wrong with your stator. Try squirting some premix fuel in the carb throats and see what happens.

Bee Reel

Cadet

I bought the engine this summer and it ran. Attached it to my boat and dropped her in the water. Ran poorly like it was missing a cylinder or had weak spark or not enough fuel. The motor quit and hasn't started since. New fuel tank and primer bulb...primer bulb only holds firmness when arrow is pointed up vertically towards engine. The vro has been removed years ago and it has a diaphragm style rule pump now. When I first squeeze the bulb a little white pin comes out of the back of the fuel pump and as soon as I turn the engine over it goes in again and the primer bulb looses firmness.

Bee Reel

Cadet

Sorry I should also mention that I pulled the plugs and three of the four of them looked normal. Slight brownish but the fourth plug looked like it just came out of the box. I replaced all the plugs and wires before the last trial thinking that's what caused he poor performance.

Jetfixr

Seaman Apprentice

If it has a primer solenoid pinch off the fuel lines to the throat of the carbs. That primer solenoid screwed me up for weeks.
Jet

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That engine is a bear to start if the fuel primer solenoid is not working. (the choke is activated by pushing in on the key when trying to start it cold.) You can test the primer solenoid: prime the fuel hose bulb. Pull the tiny fuel primer hose off the top of the top carb and leave it detached. Crank the engine while pushing in on the key switch. Fuel should flow out of that tiny hose. If it does, the choke is working properly. The fuel hose bulb will get hard while priming it. Once the engine starts to draw fuel through it, it will soften up, but should not collapse on itself.

Bee Reel

Cadet

Ill try to test the primer solenoid more. I did notice that there is some fuel spraying out of the top of the solenoid where the red knob meets the body of the solenoid. What do you guys make of the stator testing below the recommended resistance? I have a spare that tested out at 486 should I install it?The new tach was not working when the engine was running. I jumped the grey wire to the yellow wire coming from the stator at the dist block like the directions said to do. I tested the grey wire for continuity and its good from the dist block to the tach itself. Tach pulse setting is at 6p . The rectifier tested good too. Thanks again for all the feedback. It's much appreciated.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your spark jumps a 7/16 gap then your spark is good. Let the stator alone for now. You know you need 3 things, compression, fuel and spark. Now, your compression numbers when you bought it were outstanding for an outboard of this vintage. Now you say they aren't. Why?
I am thinking your not getting fuel.
How long have you been trying to start it? If you have been at it over and over for a loooonnng time without fuel(and lubrication) to your cylinders, your gonna wear out the rings and give bad compression. You say it ran until you dropped it in the water, then it sputtered and died. Did you see it run on muffs or in the water? If on muffs it could have been running lean and you never would have known it. When you put it in the water the back pressure on the exhaust would have made it run rough and possibly made it die.
You say the plugs are clean, kinda brownish except one. Not wet or black. If you are getting fuel to the cylinders and it doesn't start then the plugs would be wet and oily black. I understand the carbs were rebuilt. But that doesn't mean they are working correctly.
As stated before, squirt some fuel into the carb throats or a little in the spark plug holes and see if she fires. Test your selenoid for operation.
Stop cranking it over dry.
I have the '87 version of this motor and they are rock solid.

P.S. I believe you tach should be set on 4p since this is a 4 cylinder outboard.

Last edited:

Bee Reel

Cadet

Thanks for the info everybody. I checked the primer solenoid to day and found it is not spraying fuel from the small carb lines. I have a large create of spare parts that were given to me from the guy I bought the motor from and found a dozen or so primer solenoids and picked one at random to see if it would work...guess what...it didn't. I then found that the primer bulb was not holding pressure for more than a few seconds. I squeezed it until it was hard and ran to the ignition and turned the key to prime it and held the key in and sure thing the solenoid sprayed gas out of both carb lines. Strange thing is that the bulb and tank are brand new. Must have gotten a faulty set up. Arrow points towards engine too if you are wondering. I purchased a new bulb tonight and will try again tomorrow. My new question is would a bad primer bulb affect the performance of the outboard after it has started? Reason Im asking is that when I tried it on the lake the first day it ran poorly.
Also to answer some question you guys asked...I got it started both times I took it out on muffs first to be sure it would start before I drove 45 mins to the lake and both times the boat started after a few attempts while in the lake. It would run poorly then quit but would always start right back up. I have tried a few times to start it after the last time it died but not over and over to avoid damage to the starter (which was on its way out and I replaced recently) or the rings on the pistons. Thank you all very much for your help. I cant express how grateful I am. I have a 2 year old son that I cant wait to share the boat and my fishing gear with and hopefully with a bit more help from all of you I can make it happen.

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info everybody. I checked the primer solenoid to day and found it is not spraying fuel from the small carb lines. I have a large create of spare parts that were given to me from the guy I bought the motor from and found a dozen or so primer solenoids and picked one at random to see if it would work...guess what...it didn't. I then found that the primer bulb was not holding pressure for more than a few seconds. I squeezed it until it was hard and ran to the ignition and turned the key to prime it and held the key in and sure thing the solenoid sprayed gas out of both carb lines. Strange thing is that the bulb and tank are brand new. Must have gotten a faulty set up. Arrow points towards engine too if you are wondering. I purchased a new bulb tonight and will try again tomorrow. My new question is would a bad primer bulb affect the performance of the outboard after it has started? Reason Im asking is that when I tried it on the lake the first day it ran poorly.
Also to answer some question you guys asked...I got it started both times I took it out on muffs first to be sure it would start before I drove 45 mins to the lake and both times the boat started after a few attempts while in the lake. It would run poorly then quit but would always start right back up. I have tried a few times to start it after the last time it died but not over and over to avoid damage to the starter (which was on its way out and I replaced recently) or the rings on the pistons. Thank you all very much for your help. I cant express how grateful I am. I have a 2 year old son that I cant wait to share the boat and my fishing gear with and hopefully with a bit more help from all of you I can make it happen.
One other note on the primer bulb in addition to having the arrow in the fuel flow direction is that they work much better when you hold the primer bulb in an upright vertical position while squeezing the bulb. In a vertical position the bulb becomes hard much faster. In a horizontal position it has been my experience at times that the bulb does not go hard at all. The vertical position allows the internal check valve to seat better and prevent fuel flow-back.

Jetfixr

Seaman Apprentice

If you have spark, compression and fuel you will get combustion...

Bee Reel

Cadet

Got the fuel system working and tried to get her going again. Nothing. Sprayed fuel mix into the carbs while they were wide open and then closed the to choke position and still nothing. If I turn the key for a brief moment it will sputter for a second and then nothing. I fully charged the battery and it seems like the motor isn't turning quickly and smooth like it did when it did run.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the red lever on the fuel primer solenoid (choke) is in the "run" position. That is, it must be parallel to the length of the solenoid. That engine must crank at least 225-250 rpm's in order for the ignition to fire. If it's slow, it could be a problem. The fuel primer bulb will get hard when your prime/pump it up. Once the engine starts, the engine will draw fuel through the bulb and it will get soft. That's normal. It should not collapse however. Weak ignition components tend to work when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms up, they can start to break down. Run the engine and recheck the spark on all 4 plugwires once it heats up to normal operating temps.

Bee Reel

Cadet

The lever is in the run position. the guy I purchased the motor from had removed the vro and replaced it with a diaphragm style fuel pump. There is a small whitish pin that comes out of the back of the pump when I squeeze the primer bulb. As soon as I stop squeezing the bulb the pin slowly goes back in. Is this normal? This motor sure has been a real pain...haha...if I could pick the thing up id have thrown it five times by now. I paid $700 for it and the guy who I bought it from swore up and down that it was a great motor. Lies so far! Haha. Education is expensive friends...about $800 in and I already know more about these outboards then I ever wanted too. Thanks!

daselbee

Commander

Compression, spark, fuel = running. How many times have I heard that.....But....is the spark happening at the right time? If it were me, I would mark the flywheel location of TDC for each piston. You will end up with four marks, 90* apart. Remove plugs, insert screwdriver carefully, and rotate flywheel by hand. Feel when the piston gets to top dead center, and paint a white mark on the flywheel adjacent to the timing pointer. Then, replace plugs, get timing light set up for looking at #1, and crank it over. You should see the white mark for #1 at or near the timing pointer. Do the same for the rest of the cylinders. If you do not have spark at the right time, then two things can be a possibility....someone has been monkeying with the primary leads to the ignition coils, and has them connected wrong, OR you may have a sheared flywheel key. If you have timing out of whack, it should backfire, loud like a shotgun out the prop. Does it?

Last edited:

To add to the above, if you have a timing light, put it over the #1 spark plug wire and while someone cranks the engine over.

Check the light (if it even lights) pointing at the flywheel and timing mark on the block. If it lights up and is on the money, the #1 coil / wire assembly is correct.

As noted above, it sounds like you have everything for it to run but the spark isn't happening when it should...

Bee Reel

Cadet

No backfires yet. Haha. I'm gonna borrow a friends light to do the suggested checks. I can see the flywheel key and it is in the slot in the flywheel where it belongs.thanks guys.

daselbee

Commander

I can see the flywheel key and it is in the slot in the flywheel where it belongs.thanks guys.
Interesting....so you have the flywheel nut off.....I can't help but wonder why.....

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been silently following this thread and forgive me if I ask obvious questions.

You say you purchased the motor and it ran when you viewed it, then you installed the motor on your boat and that's where you became more aware of the motor faults. So you never really saw the motor run well.

I make this note because many folks swap electronics on these motors like crazy and since you have covered many of the fundamental basics, you may want to double check the numbers on your ignition components. Like what is the power pack number and is it the correct one for your 110 which is the TLCDC? Is the timer base correct for your model?

Perhaps you are making the assumption that the correct electronics are installed and are looking past them for your answers?

Good luck to you.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think its flooding out, when you prime your brand new bulb it firms up and then gets soft, now that gas is going somewhere... i bet its going down your pulse line into your block or its going to your overfilled float bowls down into your carbs and throats.
also check your elec. connections... have them shiney and tight to get her spinning right. i mean all connections battery to ignition connections spark wires etc. figure out two things, 1. why that plug isn't brown and 2. why the bulb don't stay hard and i'm sure you'll be happy.