1999 evinrude 200 ficht start issues

jlester95

Cadet
hey guys, i decided that this would be the best place to start with some of the issues i have on my 1999 200 evinrude ficht. I recently bought it from a kid that only knew where to put gas and oil into the boat. I got it home and the following weekend I took it to the water and it left me sitting on the ramp as I could not get it to fire, would crank over but not fire. once out of every 20 tries I got it to fire but by that time I took it out of the water so I wasnt blocking the ramp. A couple weeks later I tried it again and after finding the TPS was loose, moved it around until it was starting to fire every other try. I took it to the water that day and it popped off everytime once I got to the river. Then the next day was back to square one. I took it to the dealer and had the SAC circuit replaced with a new one and replaced the flywheel that had a couple teeth missing. The dealer now tells me that it wont start and stay running unless he holds the key in the start position but once he releases, it dies. I not really wanting to keep it there and rack up a bill that I feel I could do myself so I just wanted to get some feedback or if someone out that had a similar issue, what the solution was. I feel its something easy and simple but the dealer is throwing out some big $ signs with potential issues that it could be. thanks for any help at all!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 evinrude 200 ficht start issues

It could be a bad ignition switch. In the START position both the engine ignition system and the starter must be energized. Once the key is released, the ignition system must stay energized while the starter is no longer energized. The symptom your guy describes would say that the IGNITION (RUN) position on the switch is the issue. I'm not familiar with the ignition system on those engines but being magneto driven, the RUN position of the switch is OPEN for the two "M" (magneto) terminals. When OFF, the two "M" terminals are shorted together, one of which is ground which therefore kills the ignition. You can easily check switch operation with an ohm meter.

Last edited:

jlester95

Cadet

ok, the dealer hasnt called for over a week so I will call him tomorrow and give that suggestion. It was my first thought too or even a relay on the power block, but im not 100% and if I tell him what to do, gives him the opportunity to charge me for it. Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd find another dealer.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

A bad starter will cause hard starting also as engine has to turn at least 300 rpm to sycn up flywheel and puter. Fixed many with a new starter.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

The key switch does not work the same as a CDI key switch. It doesn't ground out the EMM (different to a CDI ignition), it simply takes power away from it.

The DIs had to turn a minimum of 200 RPM to synch the crankshaft sensor, you should be able to tell exactly how fast the engine is cranking by using the EVDiags program. There is the kicker... I have troubleshot many engines that would not start by logging on EVDiags while I turned the key. You need to watch TPS voltage. System voltage (should be greater than 28 volts at cranking). But you won't be able to do this without connecting to the EMM and watching what is happening.

Your problem could be anything from a CPS to low system volts, to a bad injector to water in your fuel or simply bad gas, to a bad capacitor. You need to be able to "bump" the injectors and test the ignition system, all which is very difficult if you don't have the right tool...EVDiags. Don't forget a compression check is your best friend.

I would find another dealer who is willing to work with you. Seriously, this could be resolved by putting a key switch directly to the EMM harness connection and keeping power to the EMM. My boss would have my *** if I didn't do that first and foremost to get rid of the boat harness, it really is elementary in troubleshooting.