what's that hole for? 59 evinrude lark 35hp

Ok, somewhere I read about this, but I'm not having any luck finding it now. Heres the issue. 1959 Evinrude Lark 35 hp. Spark fine to both cylinders. Carb leaks a lil bit, but seems ok. Engine runs ok, will rev great in neutral, but bogs in gear. Heres whats wierd that i read before, and i dont remember the solution. If i put my finger over the little hole on the front of the carb, it revs up great and has plenty of power, but as soon as i take my finger off, it bogs. Any ideas??????

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: what's that hole for? 59 evinrude lark 35hp

Time to clean and rebuild your carb.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

If i put my finger over the little hole on the front of the carb, it revs up great and has plenty of power, but as soon as i take my finger off, it bogs. Any ideas??????

You're covering the air intake? Same as closing the choke. "Carb leaks a little" might mean air leaks are causing it to run way lean.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

He is covering the vent hole.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I though I'd heard mentioned before that one of the little holes on the front of the carb provides venting for the float bowl. A friend had mud daubers plug his and it looked like it was a part of the casting and his motor ran bad for some time before his discovery.

Yes, its some kind of a vent hole, and its strange in that it runs better when its plugged with my finger. Still think carb rebuild?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Nah... just keep your finger over that hole. Clean and rebuild the carburetor!