Timing for 50hp Johnson(50ESL72)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Johnson50

Recruit
Finally got this engine running but not good. Had to quit for the day and the next time I worked on it I couldnt get it started again. Have gas and spark but plugs look like they are flooding out. Checked timing and not being fimiliar with outboards have a question.
When I set Number 1 cylinder at TDC the marks on the fly wheel are about 90% off. Could the fly wheel have spun on the shaft alittle? From what I know from other types of engines, when #1 cylinder is on compression stroke at TDC the timing marks on the fly wheel should correspond with the indicator pointing to 0 degrees TDC. I have never heard of a fly wheel spinning but maybe it is something that is not that uncommon with outboards. Anybody have any info about this type of problem? Thanks.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Timing for 50hp Johnson(50ESL72)

2johnson you might check out the sticky file at the top of this page while you wait on someone knowledgeable to chime in have a good day

archerypro1

Recruit
Hey 2johnson,I got a 50 evinrude,fought with the timing for a month only to find the keyway on crank had sheared an flywheel had spun out of time,sounds like same problem you have!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey 2johnson,I got a 50 evinrude,fought with the timing for a month only to find the keyway on crank had sheared an flywheel had spun out of time,sounds like same problem you have!

2johnson has not visited the forum in quite some time - a year and a half and this thread has had no new activity in about 2 1/2 years. Read the Help Tip on top if the page and do not post in thread with no activity for for 3 or more months. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.