1956 evinrude 30 hp big twin clutch dog replacment

Status
Not open for further replies.

1956 big twin

Recruit
I recently bought a new to me boat and it came with a cool 1956 30 hp Evinrude big twin not running I tried to get it to start but with no luck I took it in to have it fixed the guy replaced all the ignition parts, cleaned the carb and installed a new impeller, and replaced all the seals on my old gas tank. 600 dollars later I took it out for the frist time with my son and everything was fine for the first 30 min then it started acting like it was hitting a stump couple weeks later I took my wife out fishing and it got worse now it was doing it even at idle. I have read on outer forms about this symptom and have come to the conclusion it is the clutch dog. I am wondering if anyone could give me a step by step detailed process of replacing the clutch dog and a parts list of all the seals and gaskets that would need to be replaced. I am getting water in with my gear oil also so I figure I would just go ahead and replace all the lower unit seals. the thing I a a little concerned about removing is the prop shaft seal I have seen many videos and pictures of replacing the drive shaft seal but none of the prop shaft seal on my style of motor any help would be appreciated since I don't have alot of money to put towards this thing anymore. Hear is a list of parts I have found please let me know if they are the right ones or if there is anything else I will need like special tools or parts ect. Thank you

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0375783 - Vintage, Cl Dog @ MarineEngine.com
Scotch Weld 847 Adhesive Gasket 5 Oz | eBay
Gearcase Lower Unit Seal Kit Johnson Evinrude 25 28 30 33 35 40 HP 18 2686 | eBay

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 evinrude 30 hp big twin clutch dog replacment

The prop shaft seal is similar in removing as the drive shaft seal. It can be pulled out with a puller, gently, or if the housing has the holes on the backside it can be punched out. Just be gentle with the housing, they break easily.

THe shift rod seal (fat o ring in picture) will require you to make, or buy a special tool to remove the bushing that holds it in place. Lots o threads on here about this.

Service_Bullitin_197_Gearcase_Leak_Prevention_5.jpgService_Bullitin_197_Gearcase_Leak_Prevention_5b.jpg

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did on in my 1957 35hp Johnson. Not hard at all but get the factory manual. I also remove the bushings in the forward and reverse gears and swapped the gear position so the least worn is now in the forward position. I couldn't tell the difference in wear but swapped them anyway.

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 1956. Welcome to iboats. Cool old motor you got there. As the others have said, don't be afraid about tearing into the gearcase. It's not bad at all. As for removing the old seals, just go slow and take care not to damage the soft aluminum housings they're found it. I used a regular automotive oil seal puller and it works great. However, after 50+ years they can be stubborn, but don't be surprised if you have to clip, snip, chip the old ones out. Just be patient and take your time. Here are some handy links that can help walk you through the job.

Reviving a Vintage Big Twin - Part 1
Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog 376750

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...l-kit-1968-evinrude-fastwin-18-hp-601481.html
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/fastwin-lower-unit-seal-faq-277190.html
Evinrude / johnson 18-20 hp LOWER UNIT disassembly - YouTube
HOW TO PULL SEALS FROM LOWER UNITS - YouTube

1956 big twin

Recruit

thank you everyone for all the great information. I was reading what VintageALboatFan posted about removing the bushings in the forward and reverse gears and swapping the gear position and would also like to do this but I am having a hard time trying to find the part # for the forward gear bushing on my parts diagram or are the forward and reverse bushing the same hear is my diagram and parts list. page 10. the reverse bushing is part #0303690 #22 on diagram but what is the forward bushing # please help
also I would like to find a gear set and just replace the hole works maybe that would come with the new bushings if anyone knows the part # for the gear seat and bushings that would be helpful too as I would like to order these parts by the end of the week.

Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog ITEM_2750

82rude

Rear Admiral

you will have a hard time finding a gear set.used maybe but new ?? for an example a 30 hp gearset is 900 smackers!replace the seals and the clutch dog and you will proably be good to go,not forgetting you should replace the washers everytime you add and remove gearoil.i got my c dog right from the dealer a few years ago .noticed you said 600 bucks for repairs ,boy did I undercharge the guy I rebuilt a 56 for,lol.havent done one in a few years now ,sure keeps you busy and out of trouble though.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't need new bushings and you may not either. Those gears are going to cost at least $100 each and you may not need them, or at most only one, the forward one, as the rear gear hardly gets any use. It's important to make sure where the dog contacts the forward gear that it's not worn or the new dog is going to 'kick out', too. EDIT. I've only done one...I see where High Trim has done hundreds in his next post. By all means take his advice.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have done hundreds, and as stated, the bushings are almost always fine unless they have been submerged in water or something like that.

NOS gearsets are hard to find, and will be expensive if you can find them. I have some NOS ones, but would never sell them. I would open her up first, and see if you even need them. A new dog may be all you require. May even be able to just flip your current dog.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

HighTrim, I have a question: Have you ever swapped the bushings in the gears so what was the old reverse gear could now be put in the forward position? I found the bushings were fairly easy to tap out and swap but have not heard of doing it. The gears LOOK identical but the bushings are not, and when I did mine I assumed the gear were the same. BTW, mine works well but where the dog contacted the old forward gear there was some indication of rounding off just a little bit. I had considered just reversing the dog but my mine were worn to the point that it was jumping in and out of gear every minute or so.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have to admit, I have never tried swapping the bushings myself. The forward bushing is easily slid out, but the reverse gear bushing is pressed in. Difficult to remove, so have been wary about being able to press it back in properly. I have a good supply of parts, so have never had to go that route. Im not sure why they are bushed differently, perhaps Frank can shed light on this??

I can definitely understand your rationale in doing this, as the forward gear and forward side of the clutch dog take much more abuse. Ill be interested to see what the pros say.

Last edited:

merkinstine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to admit, I have never tried swapping the bushings myself. The forward bushing is easily slid out, but the reverse gear bushing is pressed in. Difficult to remove, so have been wary about being able to press it back in properly. I have a good supply of parts, so have never had to go that route. Im not sure why they are bushed differently, perhaps Frank can shed light on this??

I can definitely understand your rationale in doing this, as the forward gear and forward side of the clutch dog take much more abuse. Ill be interested to see what the pros say.
Hello I'm having this same problem with the same outboard (1956 evinrude big twin 30hp electric start) I'm thinking it's the clutch dog myself and can't find the part number for the life of me. Also do you know of a parts manual i can download? Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.