shifting gears very hard on 150hp johnson

ermack

Seaman Apprentice
I was having a hard time shifting so I replaced the cables. I have a 1995 proline 201 with a 150hp johnson outboard. When replacing the cables I noticed that it very hard to move the connector bracket where I need to hook on my new cable. I think something is very wrong here, but do not know what it might be or where to start looking. I dont want to put the brand new cable on this and wreck it. I have the gas cable hooked up and the shifter one just laying in the boat, it works fine and free, the shift cable comes out and then the gas starts to move the carbs open. It has to be something to do with the shifter not the cable or the controll. Where should I start?.......thank you, (new at outboards)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: shifting gears very hard on 150hp johnson

If the arm on the motor where you hook up the shift cable moves very hard you have some probs in the gear case. Most likely the orings in the shift rod housing are swelled up from corrosion. Gear case will have to come off. Easy repair once you get the gear case off.

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

thats what I was thinking after doing more research. is it easy to disconnect that rod so the lower unit can be removed, or does the lower cowling and carbs have to come off??.........thanks boobie, i am in sw florida also

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Look and see if you have missed any surprise hidden grease fittings too ;) I grease my linkages when the carbs are off and I have more access.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the model # ?? Where in sw Florida ??

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

model J150EXEOM, around Summerlin/Winkler

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There's a pin on the shift linkage on the stbd side. Remove that pin and push the linkage to port. This will disconnect the upper shift linkage. First remove all the bolts that hold the gear case on. Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your motor. Look up the crank case and look for pin # 49. That's the pin you remove. Hope this helps.

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, done!..........thanks for all your help everyone, I love this fourm. You hit the nail right on the head Boobie, it was the O rings. I got new ones over in the Cape. The rod slides and shifts very easy now. I am going to put the lower unit back on tomorrow. I sure hope it goes on easy.

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

Update..........got the lower unit back installed on the motor today. I cant figure out why everything works just fine except when pull back on my controll it does not increase the throttle. It goes in fine but cant rev it up at all, it just stops from going back any further. Hmmmmmmm, whats going on with that?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Where is Summerlin/Winkler ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you adjust the shift rod height correctly. Are the shift and throttle cables adjusted correctly ??

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

well, let me tell ya. The rod height was to low when I tried to connect it so I managed to screw it up 4 turns and then I could get the pin in it. It seems to shift gears just fine and I can get full throttle foward.........but not in reverse. It shifts fine into revese but I cant pull the controll handle back to give it more speed, it stays at idle.

Fort Myers, I am not far from Sanible Island and not far from Cape Coral 3-4 miles.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Bonita Springs. You'll be getting a PM.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You've got another PM.

ermack

Seaman Apprentice

Update to shifting problem..................I finally got everything back together and it shifts fine. Come to find out I had used the wrong hole in the control when I replaced the cables. Boobie was huge help to me and telling me things that could be causing my shifting problem.