1995 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro-Steady "clicking" noise from alarm panel?

Tugdawg

Cadet
'97-225V6 Johnson's. I have a steady clicking sound coming from the alarm speakers on the panel. It stops when I switch off the affected motor.
Sound is like a solenoid clicking. Oil Tanks are full and no overheat problems. Any ideas? Thanks. Bill

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro-Steady "clicking" noise from alarm panel?

I retired before that engine came into existence and am not familiar with its circuitry. I just wanted to boost your post back up on the list.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is this clicking sound coming from the horn it self or a stereo system in the boat ??

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Which is it, '95 engine or '97 engine ? They have different alarm systems.

Tugdawg

Cadet

I retired before that engine came into existence and am not familiar with its circuitry. I just wanted to boost your post back up on the list.

Thank you sir. You are a gentleman and a sailor!..
Bill

Tugdawg

Cadet

Is this clicking sound coming from the horn it self or a stereo system in the boat ??

I disconnected all the electronics and it still does it. I ran her all day Saturday and the clicking sound became a beeping sound. Guess the speaker is getting broke in LOL not! Could it be an alarm for low trim fluid? Checking that today. Also my post had a typo....Engines are 1995 too.
Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a ground/connection has come loose?
Check the sending units for a loose connection?
Is it overheating?

w2much

Lieutenant

Test your senders one by one on(each) engine.Make sure that your alarm system is working properly. Your alarm system may be trying to tell you something(overheat, oil) is wrong. Do not keep running the engine til you get it right. Perhaps use premix til you figure it out, even the it may be running hot. Trim fluid will not set of an alarm.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

OMC had problems with those horns back in '95 doing just that. Check with a BRP dealer for the latest number. They were superseded a number of times. If you have the original oil tank in the boat, that could also cause it.

Tugdawg

Cadet

OMC had problems with those horns back in '95 doing just that. Check with a BRP dealer for the latest number. They were superseded a number of times. If you have the original oil tank in the boat, that could also cause it.

Thanks Boobie. They are the originals. Next thing I will be checking today. Sensors where good and there was a small amount of oil in the cowlings. Looked like the oil line was leaking even though the lines look good.

Thanks too everyone who posted for me! Keep'em coming!!