Overhaul - 1957 Johnson 3 hp JW-13 - Head and Cylinder Cleaning Tactics

algonquin_man

Recruit
Hi -

I'm a newbie embarking on an overhaul of our functional 1957 Johnson 3 hp JW-13.

There is a large amount of oil and carbon buildup on the piston tips, throughout various chambers in the engine block, on the exhaust plate, and on the head.

My objective is to replace every gasket present on this motor, from top to bottom.

My question is: What is the best way to safely remove all of the oil (from the places it shouldn't be) and the carbon buildup? I want to make sure I don't do any damage and necessitate further repairs. I also don't want to take apart more than I absolutely have to in order to reduce the risk of putting it back together improperly.

Also: What is the torque specification and tightening order for the bolts around the head?

Lastly: I've read conflicting information on whether any silicone is required when reapplying the head gasket - do they go on 'dry' or with some other product? Does this apply to just the head gasket or all the gaskets in the engine area?

Thanks - Once I solve this I'll be heading lower! Lots of fluid coming out of the powerhead adapter gasket.

IMG-20131024-00149.jpgIMG-20131025-00150.jpg

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Overhaul - 1957 Johnson 3 hp JW-13 - Head and Cylinder Cleaning Tactics

Don't go getting fanatic about cleaning all the carbon out of the exhaust area. But scrape, wire brush, etc, or whatever the carbon out of the cylinder head and piston tops. You need to clean up those gasket surfaces too. As for the head, place a sheet of sandpaper on a nice flat surface and rub the head on it in a figure-8 pattern to clean and flatten the gasket surface.

Head bolt torque is 60-80 INCH pounds. Tighten one of the center bolts 1/2 spec, and proceed outward in a spiral pattern, then bring up to final torque. Retorque after test run & allowed to cool.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

New head gaskets have sealer already applied. If they are shiny, they go on dry.TorqueSequence.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If they're not shiny use OMC gasket sealing compound or Permatex # 3.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

HI algonquin-man. Welcome to iboats. You can use a bit of WD-40, Deep Creep and/or seafoam to help remove some of the carbon deposits, but don't drive yourself crazy. Just let the part soak a while then use a soft brush to remove and goo. The head gaskets generally go on dry and DO NOT require any gasket sealant as they have a sealant impregnated within them that gets released once the motor is brought up to temp for the first time. It usually says not to use sealant on the new gasket itself. Follow the torque spec and sequences posted here as well. These links can walk you through the entire tune up.

3 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune-Up Procedure 1952-1967

3 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune Up Parts List 1952-1967 Part Numbers and Cost

1957 Johnson JW-13 3 hp Outboard Motor Parts

algonquin_man

Recruit

Things are looking good, guys. Cleaning up nicely but it's no quick job, that's for sure. Glad I'm not getting paid piecework for this... This motor is now in all of its component parts on a table. Fingers crossed but learning a ton!

kfa4303

Banned

Just take your time and enjoy it. You'll learn tons about your motor and it will all be done right. Best of all, once you can do all of this on a 3hp you can do it on virtually any OMC of the era. Good luck!