1957 and 1958 Johnson 35 powerheads interchangeable?

ram042400

Cadet
I have a 1958 rdsl-20 Johnson Super Sea Horse 35, but the powerhead is cracked around the piston jugs. Attempted to have a shop weld it but they were unable to weld around the jugs. I may be able to buy a 1957 Johnson 35 powerhead, my question is are they interchangeable if I dismantle all the '58 parts and put it on the '57 block? There are some minor differences in the head, but again I would be putting my parts to the '57 powerhead. Looking at the parts fiche, I see that the pistons/rods/crank are different part numbers also. I was planning on changing the heads, but keeping the '57 piston/crank setup and then bolting everything else back up. Any opinions???

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 and 1958 Johnson 35 powerheads interchangeable?

Super Sea Horse, as in the gold and white & chrome Super Quiet model? Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the model number. Short answer is the Super Quiet powerhead is much different than the 1957 models. Not a match at all.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As Frank stated, the SSH is a thermostat motor, and different powerhead. If you post a wanted ad in the webvertize at aomci.org a local member will help you out

ram042400

Cadet

Super Sea Horse, as in the gold and white & chrome Super Quiet model? Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the model number. Short answer is the Super Quiet powerhead is much different than the 1957 models. Not a match at all.

Yes, that's the one, Super Quiet Model. I will post in the aomci.org classifieds too. So I guess my search will start all over... Thanks for the replies.
EDIT
Rick

Last edited by a moderator: