1996 johnson 150hp rectifier meltdown

luv2fish13

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1996 ocean runner 150 hp, was cruising around yesterday and it just shut off. then smoke started rolling out, remove engine cover and found wires burning around the rectifier. it looks likes several other wires may have been damaged as well. what might cause this, and is it worth fixing. i have some pics of the damage, but it says the files are to large to upload

James R

Commander
Re: 1996 johnson 150hp rectifier meltdown

Sounds like the rectifier regulator has burned up. The only question is why. The stator and everything down stream from the R/R will have to be checked. Was the battery connected bass ackwards or was a jump start attempted incorrectly.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Back in that year OMC had a problem with the reg/rect doing that 'cause they over heated. The new ones are a different design. Take everything apart and see how much damage is done. When you get done make sure all the battery cable connections are good, clean and tight on both the battery and the motor.

luv2fish13

Seaman Apprentice

batterys were hooked up fine, no jump start, i read in another thread that tach problems can indicate a problem with the rectifier, this boat has always had tach issue works sometimes even had a new one put in this spring with same result

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Couple of things to consider: That can happen if the battery cables are "loose" on the battery terminals-nowhere for the alternator current to go-causing an overheat condition. Also, if the powerhead looses cooling for some reason, an air pocket can form at the top of the block, depriving the rectifier/regulator of adequate water cooling. It's worth your effort to repair. Likely any damage was limited to the electrical system. A new combination rectifier/regulator for sure, but test the stator before automatically replacing it.