Johnson/Evinrude Trim Motor Replacement

Randy W.

Seaman
It seems that there are several 3-wire replacement trim motors available for the older V6 Johnson outboards. I have have a 1980 200HP Johnson and I'm needing to replace the motor. Does anyone have a preference? They can run from $70(Ebay)-$300 elsewhere. Iboats offers the Mallory, Sierra, or Arco units. All are roughly around $170-$210. I'm looking for input on experience with these and/or build quality? Which one would you buy? Being that it is not easy to replace once the motor is back on the transom, this may not be a time to pick the cheapest alternative. Been there...done that..too many times. I've read some of the other threads, but there really doesn't seem to be a preference. Are they all so similar? Thanks!

RRitt

Captain
Re: Johnson/Evinrude Trim Motor Replacement

If you only want 5-6 more years out of your boat then ebay is a good value. If you are going to keep the boat longer then ebay usually not the best choice. The cost of labor to replace a broken trim motor every 5 years kills the value of a cheap motor.

ARCO is usually as good as original but sometimes they will use a 12 year cable grommet when the original had a 20-30 cable seal. Sierra is usually high quality but sometimes they use proprietary filler plugs or driveshaft couplings. Mallory varies by design from almost as good as arco to almost as bad as chinese. Without prior knowledge, I'd pick the chinese for 5 years, arco for 10, and oem for 20.

Last edited:

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

may i ask whats wrong with the one you have?
I ask this because, if you have one that's failed, you can rebuild them.
i was quoted over $400 just for that pump motor out here. by the time i rebuilt it, it cost me about $40.

now, the 3 wire is a better set up. 3 wire uses (from factory and 70hp) 1 relay to operate the tilt. one relay to tilt up and direct to tilt down, as it uses less current on the downward tilt. i modified to two relay tilt.

the 2 wire uses a contactor unit or 3 relays to do the same thing. using one solid contactor unit has one down side.
if part of it fails do to the higher current being drawn. then the whole thing needs replacing.
if that happens one a 3 wire setup, you only replace one relay or solenoid.

both have upsides and downsides.
i prefer the 3 wire setups as they are normally a cheaper setup. they are also easier and cheaper to fix when they fail.
the 2 wire takes up less room and usually neater.

whats wrong with the one you have?

Randy W.

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. Really the trim motor is okay. The wiring to it is bad right before it goes into the motor. I fixed the wire by heat shrink tubing, but now the 3 wire cable won't run back through the motor mount plus the entire cable is iffy. If I could install new wiring on it and possibly a rebuild while it's off, that might be the way to go. Has anyone replaced the 3 wire cable going into the motor? Are there solder terminals in there?

RRitt

Captain

you use 3c SO cord and waterproof butt splices from home depot.
The waterproof splices are crimp barrels surrounded by heat shink tubing. The tubing is lined with hot melt glue. When you heat-shrink the tubing the meltred glue is squeezed into connector making it waterproof. They cost from 0.15 to $1 each. You'll want yellow. The blue size will be too small.
You'll want outdoor and UV rated SO cord. It is commonly used for exposed motor wiring such as boat lifts, air compressors, generators, etc. If length is under 36" to solenoids then you can use #14. If 6ft then #12 if over 6ft then you'll want #10.

run wire from relays back to trim motor and splice the cable about 6" from motor.

Randy W.

Seaman

Thanks for all the great information RRitt. I looked at the unit again and there's damage/decay in the wiring harness very close to the trim motor. I don't believe I have room to splice. Is it impossible to run new wires into these motors and solder/crimp inside the unit? Please let me know if anyone has had experience and/or success in that arena. You folks have provided some very good ideas. Thx.

RRitt

Captain

trim motors are ruined if you open them up and don't replace all of the sealing gaskets. Additionally 3w trim motors are very difficult for the DIY to reassemble without damaging the brushes or brush circuit board. If you try, tie back the brushes with dental floss during assembly. it is better to try and cover the wires with self-fusing tape and brush-on plastic sealant.

if you are unable to repair the wires externally then have it professionally rebuilt or replaced. The motor has an oil seal in bottom to prevent hydraulic fluid from splashing up into motor and ruining brushes. However, it does not have a seal to prevent water from dripping down into oil. A poorly sealed motor dripping water into the oil is a worst case scenario. It will rust out the guts of your trim system. It is better to buy a new cheap chinese motor than cut corners on motor seals.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As you can see. from what you are saying, mine was in similar condition to yours. it's not that hard to replace the wires and the seals.
DON"T get the seals from a marine dealer tho. any good bearing or seal shop will have them. The local guy said it was expensive then charged me $1 lol

It is a fiddly job when you do one for the first time, but not hard.

1: undo the 2 screws on the sides
2: undo the end screws. if you break these then you will have to order new ones or make them.
3: slide the guts out in one go holding it all together. this makes it easy for you to see how it goes back together.
4: best to take a few pics so you have reference as to ho to put it back together. wish i did that so i could show you
5:cut old wires off and replace.
6: you will need to cut the joiners off that they used in the factory and crimp and re solder new wires in place. remember to ....insulate!!!
7: hold the brushes in place and refit the armature.
8: hold the two lumps of steal against the armature and then hold the windings over them. the lumps of steal hold the windings in ....place once screwed back together
9: slide it all into the can
10: re locate the screw holes and secure with the screws
11: add the bottom end cap and screw together.

Finished, mine does not look the best. BUT it works and is water tight.
If you do that and replace the brushes (yeah i forgot to do that) you should get another 20 odd years out of it.
Finding the wiring for it is the hardest part. I had to track down a special cable company for it. As you can feel, its a rubber coated cable. the guy hear charged me $25 then told me just to give him the $14 that i had cos he was tooooooo lazy to walk around to the office lol

Mine was a case of broken wires and rust holes in the can, that's why it looks rough and lumpy lol

Attachments

• 20130818_092058.jpg
    20130818_092058.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20130818_092138_4.jpg
    20130818_092138_4.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1
  • pmp rbld.jpg
    pmp rbld.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1

Randy W.

Seaman

Thanks for the options RRitt and the great repair detail Cgibbo, all great. Based on my level of experience and patience (lol), I believe I'll go the route of a new Arco motor. If it was a simple task to pull the motor, I might attempt the repair. However, on this old motor it is a laborious task to go back and redo later. Thanks again for all of your responses.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok good choice. just drop it in a drawer and play with it later :)
mine was stuffed so had nothing to lose any way :)

RRitt

Captain

see the cable seal in his picture?
looks like the sealing nut goes straight down into the top? It does and it is the weakness of that type motor. If you get a motor with that kind of cable entrance then just go ahead and get the chinese one. Even a brand as good as arco isn't worth much more if it uses that type of cable entrance (sealing nut, water collection cavity, pointing straight down). That type of grommet collects water and the motors usually don't last anyway. May as well get the less expensive asian variety.

see the frayed cable in picture?
buy a foot or two of polyweave sleeving 1/2" or 3/4" (i'd buy 1/2" if it was me)
put the sheathing around cable and zip tie. it will protect cable from vibration and abrasion.
Fire Rated Braided Expandable Wire Sleeving ?" 10ft | eBay

see the rust in pictures? you have to sandblast, dip in phosphoric acid, and paint with marine primer to get rid of rust on a boat part. Better yet, buy a new motor and a can of plastidip spray. Prep the motor for adhesion and then give it a thorough coating.
Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

carlos bairo

Seaman Apprentice

hi cgibbo.. nice job you have making on the tilt ,.
i am from Sydney too,.you advice help me a lot with my 70 hp johnson 1981 model:joyous::joyous:

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey carlos. not the best job, but it will last another few years.