1989 Evidrude 155 hp Smoking at the Battery Terminals

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Evinrude 155hp that I just put on the boat..When i was trying to start the motor, the battery would smoke at the terminals. could I have something connected wrong.. Also the battery is fully charged...

Thanks

Mav

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evidrude 155 hp Smoking at the Battery Terminals

Heat is caused by high resistance. High resistance is caused by poor connections. In this case, either by loose connections, or more likely, by corroded connections. Take them apart and clean everything shiny bright & reassemble tightly.

BTW, good thing you caught it, because poor battery connections are one of the major causes of expensive damage to the motor's electrical system.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Were the cables replaced recently? Make sure the cables are large enough gauge. When the starter rotates, it consumes a lot of current. Undersized cables will overheat quickly.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply, you hit the nail right on the head...I had 2 losse wires one from the battery and one from the starter solenoid. I tried to start the motor, but the starter is turning over the motor very very slowly,,I know the battery is fully charged because I took it out and started my truck with it. could this be the signs of a bad starter.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

your lines could be corroded on the inside causing high resistance. be careful not to burn anything up including your hands when you feel which wire gets hot.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well you just admitted the wires were loose, but did you CLEAN them? I can't overemphasize that. By clean, I mean free of corrosion. That corroded surface is non-conductive. Get them shiny bright. You wouldn't believe how many starters and solenoids are replaced when the real problem is bad connections.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I should have said that the motor was sitting for 3 years..It was owned by the Georgia Fish-Game & Wildlife Services.. I sprayed the entire motor with WD 40, changed out all the wiring that I could...I got everything to work on the motor, including the T/T.. I was told that the motor ran the last time it was in the water, and that Ga. was just replace these motors with new ones.. I did get some sand paper and clean the end of the prongs.. I just can't get it to spend fast enough to start...I don't know if its the starter on not..I even connected booster cables to the battery in the boat, and the starter spends very very slowly.. Is there anyway I can check the starter off the motor to see if its any good..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the starter to a rebuild shop as they should have the proper equipment to check it out.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try taking your plugs out, spraying some seafoam or lube down them, remove your kill switch lanyard, and then give your starter a few good wacks to loosen things up. then see if she turns over.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Don't hit that starter hard; you could break the magnets inside, taps instead of whacks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can do a test. Connect the starter direct to a good battery with automotive jumper cables. When connected, it should rotate the engine normally. If it does, the starter is probably ok. If not, get it checked, replace or rebuild it. If the starter turns normally, could be a faulty starter solenoid. When the internal contacts of an old solenoid get burned, they won't transfer current properly. Best to replace it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't guess, test. Get out your voltmeter (multimeter) and check the voltage drop across the battery cables and solenoid. If everything passes, and the motor is not partially seized up (hard to turn), then it is a safe bet the starter is bad. Actually, they are pretty reliable starters though. Rough handling such as dropping or hammering can break the field magnets.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I guess my biggest question is..Does it matter which end of the solenoid the positive battery cable go.

Thank, Mav.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not on that one.