kill switch on a 1972 cobia with a 70 horse evinrude

joeshelton

Recruit
Hi I just traded for a 1972 cobia in very good shape, runs great and looks great for her age. where I fish the marine police are very strict and I noticed the kill switch did not work. I ordered a generic kill switch from you guys and I am wondering how to hook it up. the old broken on on the boat had three wires i tried to kill the engine with the loose wires but they dont seem to kill it but the do get hot. help!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: kill switch on a 1972 cobia with a 70 horse evinrude

OK, so I understand the boat is a 1972. But what is the motor? The 1972 was 65hp, not 70. In all probability, your kill wire is Black with a Yellow stripe, going to one of the "M" terminals on the key switch. The other "M" terminal is grounded via a black wire. Connecting those two wire together is what kills the ignition, stopping the motor. So, your kill switch connects to them, along with the existing wires.

You must be careful not to connect any voltage-carrying wires to it, because that will destroy the ignition power pack.

joeshelton

Recruit

OK, so I understand the boat is a 1972. But what is the motor? The 1972 was 65hp, not 70. In all probability, your kill wire is Black with a Yellow stripe, going to one of the "M" terminals on the key switch. The other "M" terminal is grounded via a black wire. Connecting those two wire together is what kills the ignition, stopping the motor. So, your kill switch connects to them, along with the existing wires.

You must be careful not to connect any voltage-carrying wires to it, because that will destroy the ignition power pack.

It may be a 65 I don't know, I was told 70 but it is a johnson not evinrude. must have been replaced. the wires are one is black one is purple and one is grey. the purple is hot to the other two when the switch is on.

joeshelton

Recruit

It may be a 65 I don't know, I was told 70 but it is a johnson not evinrude. must have been replaced. the wires are one is black one is purple and one is grey. the purple is hot to the other two when the switch is on.

Hey sorry if i'm all over the page. I just got the boat, while checking it out for compliance I noticed the kill switch did not work. so I took the control off and took the old switch out. looks like part of it was missing.the wires going to it are the ones I'm talking about one purple one black and one grey.the purple one is hot when the switch is on, but none will kill the motor when conected.the purple one would burn the wires if I conected it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, purple, black, and gray wires are used to connect a tachometer. As for the rest of the story, at the key switch, purple is "hot" when key is turned on. Black is ground. White is start. Black with yellow stripe is kill wire. Neither purple nor grey have anything to do with killing the motor. Black (ground) is used with Black/yellow to kill it. NEVER connect the purple to the Black/yellow in any way!!!

Re-read my previous post. Exactly what I said.

Hm.m.m.m, we are on the right subject aren't we? You are trying to install a kill switch, meaning one that stops the motor if you fall out of the boat---right??

EDIT: No black/yellow wire???? Then maybe you have a 60hp. That is a whole 'nother story. Sure would help to know what we are working on. How about posting a couple of pictures of the powerhead showing the electrics? OR, at least, tell us this: Do your spark plug wires come out of a black plastic distributor cap below the flywheel? Or does it have three individual coils, with a spark plug wire coming from each and going to directly to each spark plug? Makes a BIG difference.

Last edited:

joeshelton

Recruit

Thank you guys so much for the help. I think I got it . Ya'll are great!!