I have wiring problems on a Johnson fast strike 150

TroyD4070

Cadet
I just got new tec and trim gauges hook the wires up in they don't worksome helpful advice

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have wiring problems on a Johnson fast strike 150

Troy, I am not sure what a "tec" is. Do you mean Tachometer? If so, it needs to be connected to purple (+12VDC), black (Ground) and Grey (tach signal). Trim gauge would need purple, black and trim sender wire. Not sure what color that is off hand.

TroyD4070

Cadet

Yes I meant tach I got them wires the purple wire has power when key is on the black wire is a good ground but the gray wire has know power when motor is running

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Engine model number?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What did you use to check the power on the gray wire ??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, is the tachometer set to the correct numer of pulses? Is it known to be good?

TroyD4070

Cadet

Yes its on 6 and it's a brand new tach

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1500LEOM - 1995 150hp

(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

NOTE: For the later models that DO NOT incorporate a wiring terminal strip, splicing into the "Yellow Wire" mentioned will be necessary.

Normally the Gray wire leading from the tachometer is attached at the terminal strip to another Gray wire which leads from the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier...... remove the gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

Last edited:

TroyD4070

Cadet

I checked out the yellow/Gray and yellow wires the yellow one was brown like it got hot and brittits I cut it and put it back together still nothing I think this is going to have to go to the shop its passed what I can do I think

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yea... best thing to do now.

Curious... What did you think that piecing a brittle burn out wire together was going to accomplish? Dangerous choice! Could have led to one hellava fire.

TroyD4070

Cadet

I did not piece it together just fix it so I could test it and I guess it above my pay grade need to find someone in Corpus Christi TX that's not going to rape me

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I did not piece it together just fix it so I could test it and I guess it above my pay grade need to find someone in Corpus Christi TX that's not going to rape me

Oh okay... Understood. Good luck.