Evinrude 40 year, no id plate, please help

tommy54

Cadet
I have a 89-91 Evinrude 40 VRO( I believe), that doesn't have an ID sticker. I've searched this forum and couldn't find the answer to this. There is a core plug that has a serial number(or at least I think so), which reads G2510134. I found all the charts that decipher the year from the model number, but I don't have one. I need to order a trim pump and I see that there is a difference between 89-91 trim pumps and 92+. There are a couple pumps on Ebay that say they are good for 89+, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this for future reference. Can anyone help me out?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 40 year, no id plate, please help

Post a photo if you can and someone could recognise the difference between the age groups.
Have a close look on the block, often theres a serial number hidingamongst flaking paint and oil/grease

tommy54

Cadet

I'll try to get a photo today. Is the number that I found(G2510134) a serial number? It is on a silver plug on the top of the powerhead. Are there any particular differences I can look for? I actually have another one of these motors here, but it is at least a few years newer.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The connector wires plug different, im not sure of anything else.
Yes the core plug number could be a serial #

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take that # that you have and call BRP customer service at, 1-262-884-5993. They should be able to help you.

pckeen

Commander

The charts for your year of motor work with a model number, not a serial number. I had to go to BRP to get the information - they got back to me almost immediately - they were great.