Seafoam for fogging

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,
Is Seafoam a good product to fog an outboard for winter storage, or are you better off to use something like a Sierra fogging oil? Thanks for any info.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Seafoam for fogging

That's what I use, never had any problems.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seafoam has little if any oil on it. You want oil to coat the internal parts. So no, IMO.

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info.....the manufacturer is claiming that it can be used to fog engines. Why would they claim this if there was very little oil in their product?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Why not use some 2-stroke oil?
It can be sprayed in using a trigger-spray bottle.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've never fogged an outboard, no need to. Just start it, allow to run for a bit then choke it out. The internals are completely coated with oil. Your done

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Fogging is done to prevent rusting of the internal parts, cylinders, bearings, etc. Best stuff to use is a reputable fogging oil made for the purpose, something that will cling and not evaporate. OK, so many people get away with just a heavy shot of two cycle oil. That is better than nothing but that stuff tends to evaporate. However, much depends on where it is stored, temp & humidity, time, etc. The big "gotcha" is if there is any trace of water ingestion into the powerhead where it isn't supposed to be. That could be from leaking seals, gaskets, porosities, whatever. The fogging can well make the difference between surviving the storage, or winding up with a seized powerhead next spring.......or even in some cases a couple of years in case of unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances. I'd opt for the few bucks and time spent to do it right.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used the OMC/BRP fogging oil. Followed the instructions on the can and never had a problem.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Fogging is most definitely necessary, especially for those of us in the north. Stating that it is not only jeapordizes the welfare of others motors if they follow your personal beliefs unknowingly.

I love Seafoam, but not sure its best application is for fogging. As Frank stated, proper fogging oil is meant for long term storage, and will not evapourate or disappear like standard 2 stroke oil will. 2 stroke oil is meant to be burned, not last unburned for storage. There is a difference.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The fogging oils I have used foams up once sprayed out of the can. And it is very sticky if you get it on ya. It's probably recommended for any and all situations to be safe. Pennzoil fogging oil is available almost anywhere.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Fogging oil for fogging a motor ans sea Foam for just about everything else like decarbing etc. Charlie