'83 evinrude 35 hp. Upset youth duck hunter

Schranz

Cadet
8 yrs of no use because of marriage and kids but my youngest wanted to get the duck boat going. Had it since '97 and parked it in 2004. Wire went bad and no spark so I went ahead and replaced the power pack and harness and rebuilt carb.and replaced fuel/vacuum lines. It runs great on muffs and super surprised. Problem was this weekend after 3 weeks of the father/son project, it didn't perform. We went out to find the ducks and barely drifted. No wot. Almost sounded like it wanted to die. Pulled the choke out and ran a little better but still at 1/3 of power at wot.
I have low idle perfect, it sounds great in front of barn but sucks on water. Bulb was tight when pumped and 2/3 tight when running. Didn't effect running when I squeezed it more. Mechanic here in town says its a carb problem so I rebuilt it again. By the way, these shops don't want to work on the old stuff. Little wire poking with air and carb spray...didn't soak overnight because it didn't look that bad. I rebuilt 600 and 700 double pumpers and havnt had problems. Took it out again today and same issue. When idling and then to throttle it sounds great and then the power comes for 2 seconds and then someone just threw the anchor...can't barely move.
No drips but seems the line below fuel pump is wet but not enough to soak up on a piece of tissue. Need help or my little guy is going to need a lot of tissue if I can't get him on the lake chasin ducks.
Your help appreciated !!

Last edited:

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: '83 evinrude 35 hp. Upset youth duck hunter

It sounds to me you may be dropping spark in one cylinder, run motor under load with a inline spark checker hooked to each plug & see if you loose spark on one, raise fuel tank above motor and see if gravity feed helps, does squeezing the bulb help when under load?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Check spark and spark plug condition. Post photos of plugs for us to review.

Ducks 1 Shranz 0 !!!!!

Let's see if you can tie the score up shortly :D

Schranz

Cadet

I have 2 brand new plugs right out of box....I did not however check the gap. The gap seemed to look the same between the old and the new. From 8 yrs ago the plugs both looked burnt the same. No extra fouling between the 2.
I noticed no change in the performance while squeezing the bulb as fast as I could. Seems to hold tight at about 2/3 pressure.
Not sure if this is weird to say since gas tastes bad but I took the brass fitting off the gas tank and blew through the female connector into the fuel line and it went real slow. Thought it might blow through like a straw. Wonder if this is a restriction.
Thanks again folks!

Your right... Ducks. 1 Schranz 0