Removing 1977 Johnson 75 Propeller Shaft

uminchuman

Recruit
I can't get the propeller shaft out of my Johnson 75 (Stinger). I have the drive shaft (or output shaft) out and the pinion gear out of the way. The shifter is pushed down into reverse and the shift rod is out. I think the propeller shaft should just pull out. It feels like something is holding it. Is it possibly just 'tight' and needs more force to get it started moving??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing 1977 Johnson 75 Propeller Shaft

Nope, there is a lever engaged with the plunger that is pinned to the clutch dog. Sorry, too many years and too many tears since I've had one apart to remember the details.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Put your prop on it and just the prop nut with a few turns. Then use the prop for a puller and see what happens. Don't force it.

uminchuman

Recruit

Well, I bolted the lower unit to the motor, so it was 'anchored' and I could pull on the shaft.
I just kept working it and saw that I was moving it, so kept going and it came out.
I didn't end up using the prop to pull with, but probably should have......
Pretty dirty in there from bad seals. I guess that had a lot to do with it being so tight.
Now... I'd like to get the pinion gear/forward gear/seals for a decent price. Any ideas where the best prices are???

Tips much appreciated....