1989 88hp evinrude

Chesapeake Rob

Recruit
First of all I should have my butt kicked for buying someone else's problems! Too late. I bought a 1989 88 hp evinrude, the first time that I had it out it seized up after a couple hours of running a trout line, let it cool and got it to break free and start and made it back to the ramp with no problems. I pulled and cleaned the heads, changed the diverters, replaced all the internals in the thermostat housing because someone had taken it out, and put in a new water pump. After these repairs the motor continued to shake and miss during idle, found that a cylinder wasn't firing and found the power pack to be the issue. I replaced the power pack and two coils and the motor runs worse then it did before. Sounds like it back firing through the exhaust like it has a timing issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1989 88hp evinrude

I think we have all bought many things like that.
You should check the timing with a timing gun to check everything is firing in time. I wouldnt be surprised though if it was a fuel problem which is causing a lean sneeze and lead to the seizing so il suggest going through the carbs doing some cleaning

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do you have any wires crossed on the ignition system ?? If you say no, check them again.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Agree. Make sure the wires from the new pack are feeding the correct spark plug coils. If they are switched, you will get backfiring.
If they are correct, make sure the flywheel key has not sheared. A sheared key will cause misfiring.