73' 40 hp evinrude not opening up past 7mph

drum1957

Recruit
I have a 73' 40hp Evinrude. Problem is that it won't go faster than 7mph. I originally had it running at 24mph. I bought it this past spring and it ran fine at first. It started to run rough and then just wouldn't start. Had it repaired, but when I put it on the water, it was stuck at 7mph. I had two very reputable mechanics look at it and no luck. The one who actually spent time on his own to try and figure it out is stumped. Just rec'd an email from someone on Craigslist who felt it might be the stator, because he had a similar problem. Any ideas?

FYI, It starts, idles, shifts, and runs well, except for the limit on speed.

Thx,
drum1957

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: 73' 40 hp evinrude not opening up past 7mph

when you give it gas do the rpms increase and you don't go anywhere?if that's the case even though its a pin drive you have a hub and its proably spun.just because the shearpin is ok doesn't mean squat.if you look closely at the prop you will see that its got a center hub that is pressed in .mark the hub and the prop then go for a spin and then check,if the line has moved your hub is spun.

Last edited:

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 73' 40 hp evinrude not opening up past 7mph

Welcome to iboats! Need more history. Are you new to boating and outboards. Do you have any experience with mechanics. Was the fuel clean and 50:1 mix? Beyond those, 1st thing is a compression test. Next is fuel pump, but mainly filter in fuel pump. Next is fire at both plugs. Being that it ran good for a bit this year: 1 of 2 things: Dirt clogged or you points failed. Many other variables but start with the basics. Also, don't know the size / weight of you boat, but a 40 should do better than 24 mph for recommended weight. Also - 82rude's comment - spun prop.