help with a johnson outboard. Starter Replacement

nerys

Seaman Apprentice
I got a new boat. The starter is seized hard. Bendex moves fine by hand but not a peep from the starter (including by direct power its seized good)

SO I have a replacement starter. 2 problems.

pycYobWl.jpg

How do I get the bugger off without ripping apart the entire engine that I am not confident I could put back together properly again.

the 2 bolts are obvious the third bolt less so. its between that unit with the intakes and chokes on it which I really don't want to go screwing with. is there a toll that will permit me access to that bolt?

HiEMG3tl.jpg

I thought I could remove that piece at the top alas it has a third bolt that "IS" in fact the very bolt I need to remove to begin with Grrrrr

also. how do I "swap" the bendex. the replacement starter is the right shape etc.. but the bendex is smaller so I will need to swap over the bendex from the starter in the boat to the replacement starter.

This is a 1971 Larson Saber 1500 and I believe its the engine that came with the boat. Johnson 60hp.

suggestions and advice? where can I get manuals for this engine etc..

nerys

Seaman Apprentice
Re: help with a johnson outboard. Starter Replacement

thank you for those links!

anyway to download stuff from boatinfo? everything appears to be locked away behind an annoying and slow locked up UI :)

For the first link. when I select johnson and 1971 it gives me 4 model number options. How do I know what model number my motor is? is there some ID plate somewhere on the motor?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Just need to remove the carburetor cover assembly. First the cover itself, then the base. No need to remove anything else to access the third tab on the starter motor...

nerys

Seaman Apprentice

I assume you mean the big thing with the yellow sticker on it on the front of the motor.

I can remove that and the base WITHOUT removing the carbs and choke linkages ?

what about the bendex? is it as simply as removing that nut on the top?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the stern brackets for a model #. You can remove the bendex by holding the teeth on it with a channel lock pliers while removing/replacing the nut.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you have a new starter motor, no need to remove the bendix. New starter SHOULD come with a new bendix...

nerys

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a used rebuilt starter. the starter "body" is the same but the bendex is different (smaller than mine)

I will try the channel locks tonight.