Tach not working on 140 HP Evinrude looper

bcribb52

Seaman
I have replaced the rectifier with 2 used ones and the tach still don't work.. I have 2 motors so I took the working tach and hooked it up to the motor that the tach didn't work.. It still don't work.. I have verified that both tachs are good but don't know if my rectifiers are good or not. I hooked up the tach at the motor, red to ignition, black to ground, and grey to pull.. Still nothing.. I didn't cut the gray wire at the connector when I did this ,I just made the wire bare and tapped into it.. Volt meter reads 12 volts with ignition on and don't change when the engine is running.. The motor serial numbers are gone but I was told it is a 1990 or 1991 model.. The rectifier is bolted down with 6 bolts and has 5 wires, its on top of the engine and covers a water passage.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach not working on 140 HP Evinrude looper

You've got a charging system problem. The voltage should climb when the mtr is running. Bad rect/reg or stator.

bcribb52

Seaman

The motor runs perfect, no miss and gets to wot without any problem.. If the stator was bad would the engine still run ok but just not charge.. I've put 2 used rectifiers on it that supposedly were good but not positively sure on that..

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The charging system part of the stator has nothing to do with the running part of it. They are separate.

bcribb52

Seaman

Ok.. So maybe that's my problem.. I'll change out the stator and see if that solves the problem.. Thank you....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Before you do that go to cdielectronics.com and look at the trouble shooting procedures for stators. Unless you have an extra one.

bcribb52

Seaman

Is their anyway I can find out what year my motor is besides the serial number? Or is their another serial number stamped somewhere?

bcribb52

Seaman

ok will do thanks.. We have a boat recyclers here and they sell parts pretty cheap. hardest part I guess is removing the old one.. i'll check cdielectronics.com first. thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have a serial # on the core plug of the mtr, call BRP customer service at 1-262-884-5993. They may help you.

bcribb52

Seaman

My new tach don't work unless I hook up an extra wire from it to the s terminal on the old second motor tach s terminal.. Any ideas..