89Johnson 150 Overheat

Hekoa

Recruit
Had boat out and overheat alarm sounded. Replaced both thermostats and impeller, flushed out system. And reassembled. Took it out for a trial and after about 30 minutes running at 5000 rpm the alarm sounded again. Checked head temps and port side was 152 and the starboard side was 223. Pulled head covers expecting to find restrictions but there were none. Compression test revealed all cylinders equal in compression (within 5 lbs). Any ideas what may be causing the overheat? Thanks for any help.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 89Johnson 150 Overheat

It might be a failed or swelled water deflector.
3 per head

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Did you also replace the poppet relief valves; that one may be sticking and not opening up at WOT

Hekoa

Recruit

It might be a failed or swelled water deflector.
3 per head

How can I determine if they're failed or swelled? There are three and it looks to me like they completely block the flow of water.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

How can I determine if they're failed or swelled? There are three and it looks to me like they completely block the flow of water.

Post a photo. They a meant to block the flow in one direction but not others

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Water diverters.jpgHere is a pic of how a properly-installed deflector should be positioned.

Last edited:

Hekoa

Recruit

Thanks to all who posted. It was the deflectors...two of them had completely closed off circulation to one side of the bottom two cylinders.