1954 johnson 10hp wont stay running

jake_A.S.24

Cadet
first a little history
i got the boat and engine along with the trailer 3 years ago. i finally got the boat all sanded on the outside and lights working on the trailer. so after that i turned to the engine, i needed to get a fuel line for it before i could do anything as well as some muffs. oh, the engine hasn't been ran for about a total of 8 years.

Problem
i tried for a while to start it in neutral but nothing (dry start) finally i flipped it into gear and it started right up. it scared the crap out of me and i shut it off instantly. after purchasing some muffs i started to check and make sure i got water going through. and i did. now i can get it started here and there but it doesn't want to stay running. it seems to start after i prime it up a little and it runs a couple seconds but stalls. tomorrow im going to try and prime it as i get it started which could mean my seal on the tank is bad. i believe i have a pressure tank. also, i have yet for it to start for me in neutral, the only time i can get it to start seems to be in gear. i have started it in gear and put it in neutral and it stayed running.

does anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be?? any help would be appreciated. :)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1954 johnson 10hp wont stay running

If it's been sitting for 8 yrs a good place to start is by rebuilding the carb and replace any bad fuel lines.

jake_A.S.24

Cadet
Re: 1954 johnson 10hp wont stay running

If it's been sitting for 8 yrs a good place to start is by rebuilding the carb and replace any bad fuel lines.

I figured out that i have a compresion gas tank, so today i got a new gasket seal and put it on right away after work. 2 pulls later she fired right up and ran like a champ. Thank you for the input. Hopefully by the end of the week i can get her on the water. :)