Johnson Stinger 75 control issues?

hsfarm1

Recruit
We just bought a boat for the motor on it. It has a 1976 Johnson 75hp stinger. Has the Command Center Controls. We were hoping to get this thing on the water before winter sets in - just to make sure everything works, And When we tried to start it at first wouldn't stay running, But now it does absolutely nothing, no click, no nothing, the controller will not go into reverse and the button on the bottom of the controller handle doesn't pop back out when in neutral. We are hoping to try this out before we transfer it over to our other boat.... Also having an issue with the Tilt / Trim - like there's no power to it? Also does nothing.... We were told that this all worked and the man is offering to come out and help us out, but we are an hour and a half away from him. I would like to get this figured out... We called my nephew and he suggested jumpering past the solenoid, we do that and it works, so is it a bad solenoid or could it be the controller?

I'm just a mom who's trying to get this boat going so my sons and i can spend the winter switching everything over any help appreciated

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson Stinger 75 control issues?

Time to open up that remote. Something is sticking or broken otherwise the red button under the handle should pop back out. While it's open check all the electrical connections, check the ignition switch and there is may also be a kill switch. Also look into the engine as I am not sure but there also may be a neutral safety switch which will kill power.

I'd work on getting this thing to start before worring about the trim unit. One thing at a time.

And welcome to the iboats forum.

hsfarm1

Recruit

Thanks for the response I will open up the controller today, I am pretty mechanical but haven't done much with boats. I see in your tag line that you are restoring an Alumacraft. That's what this motor is intended for, an 87 Alumacraft Classic. Have one son who likes to fish and another likes to tube, currently have a 35 Johnson on it and its not enough. Hopefully this will work for both fishing and some tubing...The compression was at 135 on all three cylinders so now we just need to figure out the other issues.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Should be able to find the parts breakdown for the the controler and a wiring diagram for the switch with a quick google search.

hsfarm1

Recruit

The weather wasn't being cooperative as far as working on it. But tonight I managed to get it done, opened the control box and just moved everything around it was binding and all is good now :)

Have a charger on the battery and looks like it will be tomorrow night before we get the muffs on it and see if it'll stay running...

Now just need to figure out the trim/tilt....

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Any way you could post up a picture of the tilt n trim? Can you tell what the color of the wire leads are coming from the tilt motor? Need to determine if this is a 2 wire or 3 wire motor.

hsfarm1

Recruit

it started right up tonight :)

Thanks for your help!

Now we need to figure out the tilt/trim

There is a weird thing with these wires, the smaller shiny black wire that goes into the connector in the one photo goes into a cable with a white wire, the white wire goes to the positive on the battery, however both of these wires in the cable go no where they are coiled up on the floor near the steering console. But the other wires appear to be connected to the switch as they should be...20131017_160823.jpg20131017_161646.jpg

Fletch_n

Seaman Apprentice

I wired up the same unit a couple of months ago using a couple of relays.

There should only be 3 wires coming from that trim motor, Black - Earth, Blue - Up and Green - Down.

Here is a photo on mine wire ed up to the trim switch on my controller and also wired up a switch on the transom.

Hope this help
trim wiring.jpg

hsfarm1

Recruit

Thanks for the help everyone. Upon closer inspection the positive wire going to the battery from the solenoid was bad, as in a terminal with tape around it and the wire not connected to. So we attempted to take it out tonight and as soon as we put it into gear it quit, looks like we may need to have the carb done, might as well do the impeller kit at the same time....