1985 70hp Evinrude, Idles, but no power

gofastman1

Cadet
I have had this boat for about 8 months now and it has been running great with no problems, until about 4 weeks ago.
It will start fine, it idles fine, put in forward or reverse, it idles fine.....but intermittently it has no power, it will start to take off, and maybe run for a few feet to a few miles even, then just slow back to an idle or just a little above idle. No matter what you do with the throttle or with the carb linkage there is no difference in the power.
It does this some times when you first take it off the trailer...or maybe run great all day then do this at the end off the day.
so temp seems to make no difference.

So I am looking for some help, here is a list of what I have done with it in the past month of working on this and have exhausted a lot of money and time, really need some help please.

All these parts have been replaced with brand new

All 3 coils
Power pack
All 3 spark plugs
All 3 Plug wires
Rebuilt Carbs
New fuel pump
Fuel line with bulb
fuel line at fuel pump

Im wondering if the base timer could be doing all this.

please somebody help!!!!!!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1985 70hp Evinrude, Idles, but no power

The way I read your post the engine doesn't stall, just drops to an idle?
Is the timer base moving freely through the rpm range?
Are you running on an internal fuel tank or a portable tank?

gofastman1

Cadet

No it doesn't stall just looses power. Running on internal fuel tank which I have cleaned. I have also checked compression and all were 125 and above. I run ethanol free fuel with marine stabil since I've bought this.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You might try useing a portable tank, maybe the pickup in your tank is restricted.

gofastman1

Cadet

I have taken the entire fuel system apart, cleaned or replace, rebuild everything with the fuel system from the tank to the carbs.

I would like to know if anybody thinks it could be the base timer doing this, can they go bad and give this kind of problem.
I need some help please

gofastman1

Cadet

really! with all the people on this site, there nobody has any help for me.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Read post #2 again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Best to stay on that website. I guess we're all dummies here.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I may ask, what was the diagnosis?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What do you mean by "check your sleeve at the door" ??

Schranz

Cadet

All the same issues.... What was the fix. Please let me know

Schranz

Cadet

I have replaced the wire harness..power pack rebuilt carb twice because a mechanic said the reason why it barely runs at wot is because I didn't clean it good enough the first time. I have to have the choke on to keep it running with 1/3 of the power in wot. I have replaced all fuel and vacuum lines also. My '83 35 hp evinrude sat for 8 yrs and wires went bad with no spark. Gas in tank and carb lacquered up on me, I suppose, also.
No dripping of gas but it looks a little wet on a line coming out of fuel pump. It runs great on muffs like a wild cheetah but dead beat in water. Tried to take it out for youth duck hunting with my son and we were both disappointed and not because no hunting but we had good father/son time on this project for 3 weeks without the outcome. Please help...this sounds like exactly what you went through.