90's E200 temperature guage sender

teamhitter

Recruit
i just purchased a Teleflex Temperature gauge for my early 90's E200 hp motor and I also bought the sender that goes with it. I already have the gauge installed, wired and ready to attach to the sender. I am going to install the sender on the upper starboard side of the block in the 1/4 " npt port that is designed for the sender. I read in a recent post somewhere that you must first apply some kind of conduate paste inside the block thread before screwing in the sender so that the paste is in between the bottom of the sender and the top of the block because the sender doesn't make contact with the block? There are no instructions included in the Temperature Guage or the Sender saying anything about applying and paste or any other type of matter. I am glad I saw the post, but don't remember where I saw it, because I was just going to screw in the sender without putting anything inside the port. If this is true, what kind of paste is it (name, brand etc.) and where can I purchase it....over the counter? Walmart, O'Reilley's, Autozone, Nape....or boat shop or order online etc? Any and all replies welcome. Thanks guys.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90's E200 temperature guage sender

I would call Teleflex and see what they have to say. They built it.

go to mcmaster.com or newark.com and look for "heat transfer compound". In a pinch I've used grease.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Metric, didn't OMC used to use that in their electric trolling mtrs ??

daselbee

Commander

Heat sink compound, maybe from Radio Shack. Two things, if you put anything in there, be careful you don't use too much and hydrolock that cavity. The grease will not compress as you tighten the sender down and could effectively strip the threads right out of the hole. Second, I hope you just said "block" and really meant to say "head" in your post. The sender should go on the head, not the block. Oh yeah, one other thing...consider using two senders wired to a selector switch and then on to the gauge. Then at the helm, you can flip the switch from one head to the other head, checking both for even heating.

teamhitter

Recruit

Heat sink compound, maybe from Radio Shack. Two things, if you put anything in there, be careful you don't use too much and hydrolock that cavity. The grease will not compress as you tighten the sender down and could effectively strip the threads right out of the hole. Second, I hope you just said "block" and really meant to say "head" in your post. The sender should go on the head, not the block. Oh yeah, one other thing...consider using two senders wired to a selector switch and then on to the gauge. Then at the helm, you can flip the switch from one head to the other head, checking both for even heating.

I Only have one sender. Before ordering I was told by OMC that I only needed one therwise I would have order two. I was also told by my boat mechanic that #1 cylinder is almost "ALWAYS" the one that overheats first. Daselbee that sounds like a good idea about the 2nd sender and switch. I may do that at a later date. Yes, my bad, I did mean "head" (not block) as the sender will be installed right above Cynlinder #1 on the starboard side of the motor. I will check radio shack for the compound. I'm not sure how much is too much when I put the compound in. Thanks daselbee & thanks guys for all the help.

bimar21

Cadet

Having one sender in each head is really a good idea, once my temp buzzer started to sound whenever I throttle-up the engine (1990 E200TXESM) over 2K RPMs but my temp gauge was showing a normal reading. When I returned to shore and removed the thermostats the one on the port side head was clogged with sand (I launched at a shallow beach) because of the design of the cup (the black one) of the thermostat housing in this engine. In term of the sender installation, I did not used any grease and the sender kit came with a small metallic disk/cap that filled the gap between the sender and the head so basically I inserted the cap then started to screw the sender until it just touched the disk/cap. Have it working like that for a couple of years now and is working ok. My gauge does not show temp values in degrees, just H or C so I just took note during the first outings on the reading (In my case the normal temp is with the needle at the center of the gauge) and whenever the needle crosses the 3rd qtr of the gauge towards H the buzzer starts to sound as well so I think is pretty predictable and I can avoid overheating or be aware if I'm nearing overheating the engine.

daselbee

Commander

I like the way bimar21 thinks. Very practical. He has his gauge, he knows the normal position of the needle, basically he has established a stake in the ground for his proper temps, and he knows his boat. I bet he is very good at detecting and predicting overheat if such a condition would occur. I like that. Smart.

teamhitter

Recruit

I like the way bimar21 thinks. Very practical. He has his gauge, he knows the normal position of the needle, basically he has established a stake in the ground for his proper temps, and he knows his boat. I bet he is very good at detecting and predicting overheat if such a condition would occur. I like that. Smart.

Great information and I know now that getting that second sender is the smart and right thing to do. The reason I asked OMC if I needed two senders was just common sense. There is a port for a sender in each set of heads so that tells me that two senders are NEEDED two monitor both sides. Thanks again guys. Only paid 10 bucks for the first sender and it only took 5 days to get it. I can wait another 5. I will keep you posted on how that goes.