Oil inside of cover on 2002 Johnson 150. Is this normal

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Keep forgetting to post this.

When I remove the cover and look inside the below the carbs I always see oily residue. I wiped it all out then ran the boat. Looked again and it was back. I removed the air cleaner and there doesn't seem to be anything dripping.

I was wondering if the residue is normal for a two stroke (caused when I tilt the engine up allowing what is in the carbs\intakes to leak out. )

Unfortunately it rained heavy for so is looks more wet than oil in the picture

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Oil inside of cover on 2002 Johnson 150. Is this normal

you most likely have a small leak in the brass BB plugged passage in the plastic carb float bowl.... that design leaks on almost all carbs eventually...the gass evaporates and you are left with the 2 stroke oil......if you have any other leaks on the fuel separator or fuel lines, the same thing will result....so check carefully...there are many connections!! and lastly there is a hose that runs into the airbox that is supposed to recirculate residual gas/oil back into the airbox so it can be sucked into the carbs...if that hose is off, it drains to the inside of the lower cover( which is what your picture displaysbob

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil inside of cover on 2002 Johnson 150. Is this normal

There is a hose on the bottom of the air box that goes back to the intake manifold. This takes any excess oil in the air box and runs it through the mtr. Make sure that is there.