1990 Johnson 140 replacing high temp alarm with Temp gauge

Dan757

Cadet
Good morning all,
I would like to install a temp gauge on my johnson 140. It is currently wired for the temp alarm horn to sound when it over heats. I was wondering if I could disconect the brown wires from the horn in the console and connect them to temp gauges. I am not sure how temp gauges work but I read about some that you hook up to a head cover bolt and then that wire sends the temp to the gauge. Is this some special wire or could the brown wire that is already hooked up to a heat sensor in the head work and save me from running new wires? Also should I put in two gauges? one for each head or should one give me a pretty good idea of what the other is doing? I dont want to smoke another piston because one side over heated and the other was running nice and cool.

Thanks,
Dan

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 Johnson 140 replacing high temp alarm with Temp gauge

Temp sensor on head does not send to a guage only closes to ground to set off alarm. You have to get a sensor and guage that works together. Others will chime in to tell where and how. Good luck

The iboats store, as well as various different retailers, sell temperature guage kits from several manufacturers. You'll need to purchase the gauge and sender from the same manufacturer because they're not all compatible with each other.

I'd put in two gauges, one for each head. And as far as wiring, you'll have to run new wires for this - get the kit first and see what they recommend.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can also install one gauge with a toggle switch in line to read one side at a time.