1968 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman Stuck in Reverse

I finally got the motor running took it out to Biscayne Bay and didnt notice until we fired it up after paddling out a bit that it was stuck in reverse. Is the shift rod on wrong? I notice on the back of the handle when I turn to shift it looks like it should be a linkage there and it isnt. I can live without reverse but obviously not forward thrust.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1968 Evinrude 6hp Fisherman Stuck in Reverse

Did you have the lower unit off?
Did you make sure the screw on the shift linkage was aligned in the slot of the connector when you put it back togeather?

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could have been in the wrong position when lower unit put back on or linkage is not hooked up.

could have been in the wrong position when lower unit put back on or linkage is not hooked up.

Thanks for the quick reply , i opened the lower back up but I need to get top half of the shift rod to lower back down so I can align it and screw it back on. It's sitting to high up in the lower now so by the time its aligned the case is closed and I cant screw it tight.

The lower shaft has three positions, low - medium - and high. The top shaft doesnt move. Everytime I get this thing back together its still in reverse. Any insight?

The lower shaft has three positions, low - medium - and high. The top shaft doesnt move. Everytime I get this thing back together its still in reverse. Any insight?

I fixed it, I found another thread through google where someone else had the same problem with their 1966 6hp. I was hoping the inner shift lever wasnt broke which is only a $20 part but means I have to remove the powerhead (who feels like doing that when theres good fishing going on?) Vice grips to the shift lever after I re connected the lower end and everything is good. Thanks iboats