1978 Evinrude Shifter issue

jeepinxj

Cadet
Just purchased a duck hunting boat and it has a 78 Evinrude 55hp motor. I am having trouble getting the actual shifter/ throttle into neutral and backwards into reverse. I disconnected the linkages from the motor and it shift fine (motor linkage) but the actual shifter seems to get stuck. I took it apart and figured out how it worked but did not fix the issue. Any suggestions? I greased everything especially part #64 on the manual. It looked like it jumped the shifter teeth so I put it back on and it will only go forward about 3 inches but will go all the way back in reverse (should be opposite). Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Evinrude Shifter issue

On some of those control boxes, the nylon shifting teeth are honed to a sharp point. When, not if, that sharp tooth point snaps off, the control unit will lock up. If this is the case, replace that shifter gear.

jeepinxj

Cadet

Thank you for the reply Joe. I took it apart and the teeth are in good condition with nothing broken off. That was my first thought. Any other ideas?

jeepinxj

Cadet

Also should this motor have trim? Sorry new to outboards

James R

Commander

With the cable disconnected are you able to shift gears with your hand using the mechanism in the motor. Is there any slop in the mechanism or bushings.
Does the remote unit shift smoothly or do you have a corroded or binding cable.

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Thank you for the reply Joe. I took it apart and the teeth are in good condition with nothing broken off. That was my first thought. Any other ideas?

Darn... Nope, no other ideas. I thought for sure that would be it. There were two different setups..... the later setup had a nylon shifter and throttle gear that had the top really squared off. The earlier setup had a nylon shifter gear that went to a razor like finish and it would have the slightest bit of the tip snap off... so slight that it was hard to see that it was snapped off at all, but that little bit missing would jam the control box up solid. Oh well, it was worth a mention.

jeepinxj

Cadet

With the cable disconnected are you able to shift gears with your hand using the mechanism in the motor. Is there any slop in the mechanism or bushings.
Does the remote unit shift smoothly or do you have a corroded or binding cable.

Yes I can shift them with everything disconnected on the motor. I pushed the cables manually and they seem smooth. I think it is the teeth/ grooves. I looked up the diagram of how it goes together and it seems it is together correctly. When I put it back together to what seems corect the throttle goes into reverse and sets into neutral but only goes forward a quarter of the way.

When I put it back to where the previous owner set it it goes to full throttle but will not go into neutral or reverse. Sorry I know its long and a bit confusing but have no other ideas.

jeepinxj

Cadet

I have pictures but can not upload them if that helps. This is getting frustrating!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I have pictures but can not upload them if that helps. This is getting frustrating!

Upload your pictures to Photobucket (free site), then click on the bottom listing of the photo (IMG), then COPY. Now, back here at "iboats", get in the post area you want and click on PASTE. Try to keep the pixel picture width down to about 600. That'll do it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That's not what I had in mind but your link did take me to the five pictures in your library for viewing.

However, the pictures do not tell me anything... too dark, not clear or close enough to see what you want us to see.

joeseif

Seaman Apprentice

Are you sure the cables are adjusted correctly? Are the cable ends firmly in place?

jeepinxj

Cadet

The cables look to be correct. The main picture is the throttle forward only moves 4 inches. In reverse it goes all the way down.

James R

Commander

I would say that your remote unit is incorrectly assembled. If you can get a parts drawing you may be able to see the problem.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I just saved the picture of the control box that has the shifter gear attached to my computer. I blew it up and edited it brightness/contrast , etc. You think those teeth are in good condition? You better take another look as that thing is shot. Part #386542

jeepinxj

Cadet

Ya looking at the new one mine is obviously worn. Even then when the throttle is forward it only goes a quarter of the way.

jeepinxj

Cadet

I would assume that that is where it is getting hung up and not allowing for full throttle ?