1956 Johnson Javelin 30 hp - Best method to suspend the motor for repair.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone provide input on the best way to suspend a 1956 Johnson Javelin for repair and repaint?

Thanks

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: 1956 Johnson Javelin 30 hp - Best method to suspend the motor for repair.

it might seem like overkill but I use a 2000lb engine stand of which ive attached a 3 foot piece of 2x10 hemlock.i have a 85 Johnson on it right now and it is bolted to the wood.i can spin the motor any way I wish. straight up ,sideways or even on a angle.it can be rolled all over the garage also.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Great idea above. A home made stand with casters on it will work as well.

Cant wait to see pics of the Javelin!

82rude

Rear Admiral

Great idea above. A home made stand with casters on it will work as well.

Cant wait to see pics of the Javelin!
best part of that was the price which was cheap and on sale,lol.and in theory I could suspend 6 motors off of it .

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Princess Auto?? :)

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

it might seem like overkill but I use a 2000lb engine stand of which ive attached a 3 foot piece of 2x10 hemlock.i have a 85 Johnson on it right now and it is bolted to the wood.i can spin the motor any way I wish. straight up ,sideways or even on a angle.it can be rolled all over the garage also.

I did similar. Picked up a 1000lb engine stand on craigslist for $50, bolted a 2x10 piece of pine to it. Please note, they can get a little top heavy with powerhead weight up high. If I lift my lower unit up parallel with the floor (like you might to install the lower unit after you have dropped it to replace impeller etc) it is very tippy. Just be careful.